How to stop mold

jeffstort

5 Year Member
Hey I just got my new baby box turtle everything is fine but I notice there is mold growing in his substrate. I was wondering how to stop it.ImageUploadedByTortForum1389821231.666981.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389821253.299413.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389821270.172860.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1389821286.368998.jpg

Also my substrate is organic soil peat moss and repti bark

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
Wow. Good question. I, too, use 50/50 by volume organic peat moss/organic top soil. I've never had any issues with mold growing. Maybe it's the repti bark?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
How moist are you keeping the substrate? I think usually too much moisture and lack of air circulation contribute to mold growth.

jeffstort

5 Year Member
I keep it at a pretty decent moisture but I'll try to let it dry out a bit to see if that works

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I stopped using repti bark because of mold issues. I bet that's the problem. Maybe you could try using that 50/50 mix Ken referred to and see if that helps.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
I keep my humidity upwards of 85% consistently with a fogger. In one of my enclosures the soil mix in one area is always moist if not downright wet. No moving air except for my opening the door a couple times a week. I've never had an issue with mold. I'm not saying this is the right way, just what works for me.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Could be something in the soil. If you don't want to do a full substrate change, pick it out as you see it grabbing a handful of soil around it, too.

I had this issue repeatedly when I used top soil for substrate. Now that I've switched to coco coir that problem is gone.

edwardbo

5 Year Member
i bet its the soil,nothing beats cyperss as far as im concerned.put the basking light on the mold that will kill it.arnt you guys concerned with shell rot in such a wet enviorment?...wet is not humid...you might enjoy seeding that enclosure its a blast watching the shoots grow ,its good looking and the torts seem to have a blast in it.there is a beautiful post with trays of grass growing in rotating trays......

james1974

5 Year Member
Illinois
You could use coconut coir as well I've never seen mold with it no matter how wet it is,it has a natural ability to fight bacteria mold and odors.You can plant live plants in pots that will help with the humidity to 60-80% is recommended for box turtles.I've had mine for over ten years just switch them from the 50-50 soil peat moss mixture about three years ago no issues,lots of live plants palms and ferns work awesome..best of luck with your box turtle remember that baby box turtles are carnivorous the first few year's then more omnivore as mid to adult:D:D:D

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
jeffstort said:
I keep it at a pretty decent moisture but I'll try to let it dry out a bit to see if that works

You shouldn't have to dry it out completely. I had this problem with the substrate with my Russians and Leopard tortoises and all I do to prevent mold from forming is mixing the substrate around once a day or so. This improves air circulation and makes sure that nothing is sitting on the substrate for too long.