How to tell if a weed is bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bogart20

5 Year Member
I let my 2 month Indian star tortoise outside everyday for hours and hours? And I always watch him but the only thing I'm sure he can eat out of the yard is dandalions. There's a few things out there but don't know if they are okay. They are small and have little purple flowers

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Need a pic. Or try taking a sample to a local nursery for an ID.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
spend some time googling local weeds in your area and/or visit nurseries to pick their brains on different plants... it'll be well worth it for your tort.

all my friends and family laugh at me when im naming all the weeds we see at parks or off the freeway :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Are they purple flowers grouped in rings around a short post type stalk? Purplish red leaves on the underside with green/purple tinged topside? Where are you located? I agree with Tom, take a sample of the plant to a locale nursery. Try to get all parts of the plant, and try for a real nursery/garden center not a Home Depot. If what I described is what you're talking about, I've no idea what it is. I've got lots of it and I'm in Oregon. My sulcatas get to graze in the are with it growing for about 20-30minutes once a week. They aren't real interested in it but mine is 12lbs not 2months, so what would be a mouthful for Fred,could be deadly for your little guy if indeed it is poisonous.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Taste it. :p

No, seriously. I can see having to identify a plant if you're going to chop it up and mix it in a salad, because then the tortoise might end up eating something it doesn't want to accidentally. However, when it comes to free-range foraging, tortoises have good nutritional wisdom, and can sense what's good to eat and what isn't (probably by smell). As long as there are no artificial chemicals involved, which animals have not evolved to detect, I don't worry about what my Russians choose to eat out there. I identify things more out of curiosity to learn more about what they like, so I can pluck it and bring it inside for them.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
I think one maybe chicory though a young one. The other i have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.