How to tell if tort is wild caught or CBB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I went to a local reptile shop this morning to take a look at their inventory. It had 4 little Greeks in the 2-2-1/2" size. The guy in the store told me that they were "100% captive born" almost a year ago, but how do I tell if he's telling the truth?

I know African torts are no longer allowed to be imported. I also understand Mediterranean torts have to be 4" long in order to be imported as part of the pet trade. So if one is under 4", does that automatically make you suspect that it's CBB?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
My understanding is that animals under the pet trade size rating can just as easily be sold for "educational, scientific, export" purposes or some such.

If they are CBB, the petshop should have no issues giving you the info of the breeder to verify.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Look for signs of fast growth, like a tiny bit of pyramiding (but don't buy them if they have a lot of it, because then they might have more serious metabolic bone disease).

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Another clue is the price...a CBB that is 4" long is at least 3-4 yoa, most likely (and quite possibly somewhat pyramided)...if it is smooth and under $250 (for a very common species, like a Russian or Greek), it's probably WC/farmed.

A 2" or 2-1/2" yearling, of a common species, is still likely going to be $150 or more, if CBB...

EricIvins

5 Year Member
What would make you NOT think they are CBB? A petstore is not going to give you Breeder info though, that's a contact that they made, and so why would they give you the source? A business wants a potential customer to buy from that business, not their supplier........

DaveInLA

5 Year Member
Southern California
So the fact that it's smaller than 4" doesn't immediately rule out that it's wild caught or farmed because of those laws I mentioned?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DaveInLA said:
So the fact that it's smaller than 4" doesn't immediately rule out that it's wild caught or farmed because of those laws I mentioned?

No, it could go either way.

In a petshop, it is eventually a bust (kinda hard to convince a judge that a petshop isn't selling them as pets), but at a reptile show, it's a VERY often used "loop-hole".

And, it depends a lot on how aggressively the police/beaurocrats enforce the law.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think it's hit or miss at pet stores and even a few reptile shows. I think the biggest issue with big pet store chains is that is all about profit margin and less about where the animal actually comes from and if they can get a good price on it, I doubt they are asking if it is WC or CBB..

Status
Not open for further replies.