How to tell the difference between a yawn and a respiratory infection?

Mr. RussianTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
My Russian tortoise has been opening his mouth and stretching his neck every day (As far as I can tell). I'm confused whether or not it's just a yawn or he has a respiratory infection. :( Some things he has been doing is that he stretches his neck a lot more and seems to stay on the cool side for a long time and I might be exaggerating but his eyes seem a bit puffy... If he does have a respiratory infection can you please tell me how to prevent it from getting worse?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to know everything about his set up
Size of enclosure
Temps, basking, all over, night
Type of bulbs you are using for UVB, heat and basking
Diet
How big is he, how old
Humidity
Substrate
Diet
Answer these ASAP and post pics of enclosure and your tort and we can help you much better, more accurately.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
The enclosure is 38 inches and I use a infrared 75 watt basking light and a reptile uvb that is 13 watts and usually the cool side is 70-80 degrees and the basking spot is 80- 90 degrees. He is also 1 years old not sure if it’s right tho, and he is about 4-6 inches and I sue aspen snake bedding which I will change tommorow to repti bark and his diet is Romain lettuce, cilantro, some cucumbers, and kale and I put in reptivite every other dayimage.jpgthis is a pic I just took

image.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Aspen wrong, basking needs to be 95-100, red bulb wrong, the uvb bulb is wrong and enclosure too small.
The disc thing you are using for temp is useless, get a digital.
Also needs 30-50% humidity
Did you get him from a breeder or pet store?
If bought from a pet store he is older than 1.
You need a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure. I tube fluorescent uvb an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added day heat needed and for night heat if needed.
The 70 temp should be at night.
Day temp should range 75-80 with the correct basking temp.
Get things corrected ASAP or you will have a sick tortoise.
Diet needs a lot of improving too
Please read the Russian care sheet under the Mediterranean section.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The enclosure is 38 inches and I use a infrared 75 watt basking light and a reptile uvb that is 13 watts and usually the cool side is 70-80 degrees and the basking spot is 80- 90 degrees. He is also 1 years old not sure if it’s right tho, and he is about 4-6 inches and I sue aspen snake bedding which I will change tommorow to repti bark and his diet is Romain lettuce, cilantro, some cucumbers, and kale and I put in reptivite every other dayView attachment 362168this is a pic I just took

View attachment 362169
The tortoise might be choking on the aspen bedding. I once had a beautiful Star Tortoise die from eating it and getting an intestinal blockage. I heartily recommend NOT keeping the tortoise on any type of wood shavings.

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Aspen wrong, basking needs to be 95-100, red bulb wrong, the uvb bulb is wrong and enclosure too small.
The disc thing you are using for temp is useless, get a digital.
Also needs 30-50% humidity
Did you get him from a breeder or pet store?
If bought from a pet store he is older than 1.
You need a 4x8 foot minimum enclosure. I tube fluorescent uvb an incandescent flood bulb for basking and ceramic heat emitter for any added day heat needed and for night heat if needed.
The 70 temp should be at night.
Day temp should range 75-80 with the correct basking temp.
Get things corrected ASAP or you will have a sick tortoise.
Diet needs a lot of improving too
Please read the Russian care sheet under the Mediterranean section.
I read some of it and it says that I can use a flood light that isin't designed for reptiles? If so, what kind do I use. Also what substarte can I mix with repti bbark?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Take the time to make the recommended changes and save your tortoise. I agree with Zovick that he may be choking on the Aspen. Take it all out and check him closely. Is he eating?

Mr. RussianTortoise

NJ
Yes he is eating, Im gonna go get teh supplies today however I think he is getting worse and worse

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If there is a good reptile vet around, I would certainly get the tortoise there asap.

LudusPlus

Sheffield
I'd go to the vet personally :(

Tortoises yawn but I've only seen mine yawn once, and he only makes weird noises in/straight after a bath. If he's getting worse I'd go ASAP.

The changes to environment are going to help maintain good health but you need to make sure he isn't ill first or the worst could happen.