Hubbs is not an animal person..

AnimalLady

Anyone else have issues with their SO's over their animals?

I wouldn't say I'm obsessed with Mac, but c'mon I'm a new tort owner that has no clue what she's doing (but I'm learning!). Its only natural to be fixated on getting my torti happy and comfy in his new home, right? To check on him multiple times a day and well, just go out there and stare at him for maybe 20 minutes at a time... right?! Or to call my father to go and check on him while I'm at work.. my enclosure isn't 100% and I want to make sure he's ok while I'm at work!!! All this is normal, yes?

Well, my husband is annoyed already. He thinks I spend too much time worrying about my tort and he finds it funny that I joined a tort forum and fb page...

We're not arguing but he's annoyed. I was the same way with my rabbits! I spent a lot more time with them since they required more care/supervision and I had at least 20 at any given time... (A LOT OF CLEANING, TOO MUCH CLEANING!)

Anyone else have a SO that's not into their torts or animals for that matter? I'm getting annoyed that he's getting annoyed! lol!

Wait till he finds out we're taking a trip to Homestead this weekend... for succulents... for Mac... ha!

AnimalLady

I'm known as "The crazy animal lady" in my family! So I'm use to being called crazy lol

I WISH mine secretly even tolerated them haha, he thinks my dogs should live outside and that's just never going to happen. He actually thinks ALL animals should be housed outdoors, this is his take on animals, their just animals.. UH NO, their my babies!!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Wifey's pretty good about me spending hours a day with Tidgy and on the forum.
But she does get attacks of Tortoise Envy sometimes.
And she loves Tidgy, too,and helps out a lot.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I think all tort people are a little CRAZY !
I have 28 leopards , 3 marginals , 8 Hermanns , ? AZ desert torts , 6 Russians , 5 Greeks , 2 pancakes , 5 Box turtles , 11 water turtles ! 2 refrge to keep $75.00 a week s worth of vegys cool for a week . My wife gave me one room in the house that stays 86 degrees year around for my torts . I have stuffed turtles and torts in every room in the house ! And I spend ( per the wife ) every minute of the day on the TFO ! And your husband says what ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The one I share my house with, Misty, isn't too happy when I'm on the computer for a long time, but she loves running around outside with me as I go from turtle yard to turtle yard taking care of business.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Non-animal people, really don't understand the fascination/obsession that animal people share. They don't "get it". With my career, hobbies and lifestyle, I could not have married a non-animal person.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I think tom summed it up perfectly

When people know I have a tort I get a lot of "but why what do they do"

Or when they hear how much I've put into my tort they're surprised but I look at it as he's here because of me I wanted him he didn't ask to be in captivity or come to me so I'll take care of him and give him a long treated we'll life

AnimalLady

Non-animal people, really don't understand the fascination/obsession that animal people share. They don't "get it". With my career, hobbies and lifestyle, I could not have married a non-animal person.

THIS. I tell my husband all the time in a joking manner, "how the heck did i marry a non animal person?" I actually have no idea how it happened, must have been his charm... or the chain and ball attached at my ankles! LOL, i kid, i kid! It hasnt been easy with my love for animals and his "meh" attitude towards them, but I will say, in the end, he always helps lol. Sometimes very reluctantly, but he helps, me giving him the cry baby look also helps out, he's a sucker for that bottom lip! :D

I just told him about going to Homestead, and he said "HERE WE GO AGAIN!" I was in homestead almost every other weekend either picking up a rabbit or buying feed/supplies for the buns.. its a long long drive. I get comments like this, but he will go, and he wont be a punk about it either lol

AnimalLady

Or when they hear how much I've put into my tort they're surprised but I look at it as he's here because of me I wanted him he didn't ask to be in captivity or come to me so I'll take care of him and give him a long treated we'll life

Why is that? This guy at my job says that Turtle & Torts are NOT pets. Ugh. Its annoying.

AnimalLady

I think all tort people are a little CRAZY !
I have 28 leopards , 3 marginals , 8 Hermanns , ? AZ desert torts , 6 Russians , 5 Greeks , 2 pancakes , 5 Box turtles , 11 water turtles ! 2 refrge to keep $75.00 a week s worth of vegys cool for a week . My wife gave me one room in the house that stays 86 degrees year around for my torts . I have stuffed turtles and torts in every room in the house ! And I spend ( per the wife ) every minute of the day on the TFO ! And your husband says what ?

OMG. Yea, no.. that would so not fly with mine! HAHA! I had a total of about 6 buns living inside (my special little babies that needed a lot more care than the others) and he was always fussing about their fur and shedding and smell and blah blah blah blah! I could just imagine if I requested an entire room for torts! I dont have the "balls" for that! lol!

Your wife deserves diamonds, lots of diamonds ;)

AnimalLady

Happy Birthday! :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
My wife gave me the room about 8 years ago cause we were shopping for the extra thick Matress And box springs.and she ask a question " don't your torts have to come inside in the winter " and my answer was not all but some . And then then she made the big mistake and asked where do you plan on putting them ? After a moment of quite --- I answered her " your side of the bed " Then I got my tort room !

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1443030360.201294.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm lucky in this case: I lived alone until I got my beloved tort.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm always very up front with everyone I meet. My animals are first point blank. Don't like it keep walking. Now my hub would rather not have what I have but too bad for him. I was honest in the beginning, he stuck around, I wasn't kidding.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan

Wishing you a........

VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

bday.jpg

AnimalLady

My wife gave me the room about 8 years ago cause we were shopping for the extra thick Matress And box springs.and she ask a question " don't your torts have to come inside in the winter " and my answer was not all but some . And then then she made the big mistake and asked where do you plan on putting them ? After a moment of quite --- I answered her " your side of the bed " Then I got my tort room !

That'll do it! LOL!