Humid hide description please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hallbomber

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Just wanted to know exactly the best way to make a humid hide. I own a 5 and 9 month old leopard tort. I wondered what brand/color/size of box, and where to get it. I plan on using the sphagum moss as wet substrate.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can use about anything :D a Tupperware container appropriate for the size of your torts..cut opening in the side of the container so they can easily go in/out....a plant pot open side down and again cut opening in the side...your imagination can go wild here..have fun with it :D

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Anything that will act to hide your tort and accumulate moisture will work....just so long as they fit!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Tom said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1lo4june2

Here's a thread I did on them. After I did this thread, I discovered black dishwashing tubs at Walmart for $2.25. I just flip them over and cut a door out and they work great.

Tom, I noticed in one of your posts from that thread that you wrote:

The substrate inside the humid hide box is fine coco fiber. The stuff outside is regular coco coir. I pack it down by hand a bit for better footing.

I'm curious why you used one form of coconut husk inside the hide, but another outside of it. I love coco coir, and have used it for a long time. But I've never used coco fiber. What's the difference between these two? Isn't coir simply the fiber all ground up? Is one firmer than the other? Does fiber hold moisture as well as coir does? Does fiber cost about the same, and can it be found in the same garden centers where coco coir is available? Any thoughts you can share on why you'd use coco coir in one case, but coco fiber in another would be much appreciated.

tortuga_please

5 Year Member
Half a milk carton with the side cut works, but the heat can bother it if it's too close to a lamp.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use rubbermaid type containers of various sizes, depending upon the size of tortoise that will be using it. Cut an appropriate size doorway in the side and spray paint the container minus the lid) flat black on the outside. Once dry I put enough dampened sphagum moss in it to fill the container about 1/2 full. I keep the lid on loosely so that it's eay to open, spray and mix the sphagum every few days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No real reason. I just have all the different grades on hand. The fine stuff sticks to them more, so I was using the coarser stuff for the bulk of the enclosure. The fine stuff is also easier for the babies to dig in to, if they so desire.

GeoTerraTestudo said:
Tom said:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Humid-Hide-Boxes-II#axzz1lo4june2

Here's a thread I did on them. After I did this thread, I discovered black dishwashing tubs at Walmart for $2.25. I just flip them over and cut a door out and they work great.

Tom, I noticed in one of your posts from that thread that you wrote:

The substrate inside the humid hide box is fine coco fiber. The stuff outside is regular coco coir. I pack it down by hand a bit for better footing.

I'm curious why you used one form of coconut husk inside the hide, but another outside of it. I love coco coir, and have used it for a long time. But I've never used coco fiber. What's the difference between these two? Isn't coir simply the fiber all ground up? Is one firmer than the other? Does fiber hold moisture as well as coir does? Does fiber cost about the same, and can it be found in the same garden centers where coco coir is available? Any thoughts you can share on why you'd use coco coir in one case, but coco fiber in another would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.