Humid Hide

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Just wondering... could I use wet sponges and stick them on the roof of the hide ? Will that make it humid? Im using someones idea from another thread about using zip lock bags for the door to keep it humid

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes you can, but I've found that unnecessary.

I would not use ziplock baggies for the door, for fear that the tortoise may try to eat it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
what else could i use?

What size and species of tortoise are we talking about? What size enclosure and what sort of hide box are you using?

I usually don't make any sort of doors on an indoor humid hide. I use upside down plastic tubs, cut out a small door hole, and wet the substrate under them.

Hong Kong
What size and species of tortoise are we talking about? What size enclosure and what sort of hide box are you using?

I usually don't make any sort of doors on an indoor humid hide. I use upside down plastic tubs, cut out a small door hole, and wet the substrate under them.
They are just hatchlings, I am using a sort of cave hide and they live outdoors.. im going to be getting eco earth tomorrow will that help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are just hatchlings, I am using a sort of cave hide and they live outdoors.. im going to be getting eco earth tomorrow will that help?

What species are they?

In my experience babies don't do well living outside full time. Climate doesn't seem to matter either.

Hong Kong
What species are they?

In my experience babies don't do well living outside full time. Climate doesn't seem to matter either.
leopard tortoise. I kept them inside for a week and all they did was sleep, they didnt even eat or poop or pee so i prefer letting them stay outside

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
leopard tortoise. I kept them inside for a week and all they did was sleep, they didnt even eat or poop or pee so i prefer letting them stay outside

How were you housing them inside? Under what bulbs? What were the four temperatures?

I've done side-by-side experiments with clutch mates, and they simply don't do as well when housed outside all day as babies. If yours were not doing well inside, then it indicates a problem with the indoor housing. I'm happy to help you figure it all out.

Hong Kong
How were you housing them inside? Under what bulbs? What were the four temperatures?

I've done side-by-side experiments with clutch mates, and they simply don't do as well when housed outside all day as babies. If yours were not doing well inside, then it indicates a problem with the indoor housing. I'm happy to help you figure it all out.
the reason i keep the outside is because I dont want them to have artifical sunlight. Its really hot now so my family always turns on the AC and the only place i could put the tank would be under the AC so i keep them outside instead

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
the reason i keep the outside is because I dont want them to have artifical sunlight. Its really hot now so my family always turns on the AC and the only place i could put the tank would be under the AC so i keep them outside instead
So your logic here is that you are going to give your tortoises less than ideal conditions to live in because its not convenient to house and care for them the right way?

Find a place indoors, set the "tank" up correctly with proper heating and lighting, and give your babies the best care you can. Leaving them outside is not the best care you can give them.

Hong Kong
So your logic here is that you are going to give your tortoises less than ideal conditions to live in because its not convenient to house and care for them the right way?

Find a place indoors, set the "tank" up correctly with proper heating and lighting, and give your babies the best care you can. Leaving them outside is not the best care you can give them.
Im sorry but I am doing the best I can... but I watched a video and it said that keeping hatchlings outside it better??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Im sorry but I am doing the best I can... but I watched a video and it said that keeping hatchlings outside it better??

That is not correct.

Has the person in that video done multiple side-by-side comparison experiments over many months? I have.

Its a common thing for people to say all sorts of things like:
Tortoises get all their water through their food.
Sand is a good substrate because they live on it in the wild.
My tortoise pair love each other, because they cuddle and follow each other around all the time.
Tortoises come from the desert and need dry conditions or they'll get shell rot and RIs.
Glass tanks are bad for tortoises.
Tortoises do better outside.

All of these statements are false, but you can find lots of websites and YouTube videos of people saying them.

And don't be sorry to me. Keeping your tortoise outside all the time isn't doing me any harm. The "best" you can do is to house your tortoise in the conditions that will help them thrive.

Last edited: