Humidity challenge, defeated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

un-loco

5 Year Member
Here's Butters the Red-footed tortoise! (I saw someone else has a Butters as well, maybe their related, ya know besides the different species thing.) He is admiring a picture of himself outside in the sun.
I got him about 3 months ago as a yearling and he has just started to finally move around and eat more than just a few bites and go back to sleep. (still loves his sleep tho lol)

So I live in El Paso, Texas and I don't think humidity has ever existed here until I showed up and started pumping it everywhere. It feels that way when i try to get his tub over 40% at least. I have dumped water in, misted him and his tank 10 times a day, put the humidity gauge on the ground and I would be happy to get a spike up to 70-80 and a few hours later... back to 40%
I also have a heat cable coming in the mail, and I hope that I can undo my ghetto fogger when that gets here, but I am pretty stoked at my ingenuity and think its kinda funny so I had to share some pics.

Basically there are vent holes in the hand grips on his tub, and i placed the output of the heated humidifier to where about 75% of the humidity is pumped into the tank under the hand grip. Now I just need to fine tune the heat settings, as its a heat humidifier and wait for the heat cable and temp probe shutoff to get here.
I also have some fun stuff to do to the yard now that its getting a bit springy weather to get him a daily hangout and upgrade his tub to something more visually appealing.

Attachments

• IMG_2730.JPG
    IMG_2730.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    1,023.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2732.JPG
    IMG_2732.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2703.JPG
    IMG_2703.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2711.JPG
    IMG_2711.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 24

un-loco

5 Year Member
yeah I had saw that the other day on your sig... they're obviously related! ;)
So far, about 2 hours in, it is keeping his tub 80 degrees on low with no heat source. I am thinking i can replace his heat light with a incandecent bulb and bump it up a few degrees.. This has worked out much better than intended.

I added the wrong photo of his house earlier and i cant fix it!
so here it is

Attachments

• IMG_2737.JPG
    IMG_2737.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2735.JPG
    IMG_2735.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.