Humidity/Temp Question

Giancarlo Minotti

One side of the tank is at 89-91F and 70% humidity and the cooler end at 82-84F and 95% humidity. I am worried about the 95% humidity- is this bad/too much?

As my tortoise is completely in its shell, head and all, and im worried to leave it alone without knowing this is nothing to worry about. (Maybe its just sleeping)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
95% humidity is fine.
But 91 degrees is high. Are you certain that it isn't any higher?
Aim for 84ish in the entire enclosure. No high or low side.
Does he have a place to hide? They sleep a lot. But always look for a place to hide from the lights and predators.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
How big is the enclosure?
Does the tort always rest in the same place, if so where?
What lighting are you using?
How long you had him?

Giancarlo Minotti

How big is the enclosure?
Does the tort always rest in the same place, if so where?
What lighting are you using?
How long you had him?

40 gallon, likes the cooler area, but still uses the whole enclosure. I'm using a 100w daylight bulb(not coil). Recently got her. (3 weeks ago)

I followed the steps Zeropilot gave me and got the temperature down to almost evenly throughout 84F. (87F on the hotter side and 82F on the cooler) and the humidity dropped to about 85%. Seems she was just sleeping and I got worried, she came out not long after to eat and then soak.

Merry Christmas!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Can I see a photo please?
Be sure to soak your baby every day for 15/20 mins for the first 6 months.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What have you got in those 2 lamps and have you got any control on the heat input with thermostats?

Giancarlo Minotti

What have you got in those 2 lamps and have you got any control on the heat input with thermostats?

So one lamp is the 100W daylight bulb connected to a day/night timer and the other is a 60W Ceramic heat emitter on a Zilla thermostat control set to 89F

Giancarlo Minotti

Yes, but ive gone through and wrapped with plastic and foil (around the lamps), to try and keep humidity in

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Ok. It looks too bright for a redfoot.
This is what I would do.
Black out the back and and ends.
Put an 100w CHE in the left hand lamp connected to your thermostat. But move the lamp to the middle of the enclosure.
For lighting and uvb I would use a small strip light that fits width ways inside hanging from the mesh. Have this near one end over feeding area. Put tinfoil over every bit of mesh so it creates a closed system.
Your aiming for 80/90f throughout. 82/86f is better. With humidity about 80/90%
That basking light is too bright and will dry your tort out. There's no way it's 80% humidity directly under that light. A tube type light won't light up the entire enclosure and it won't dry your tort out. Dry tort = pyramiding at such a young age.
Try and get some spagnhum moss for in and around your hide. Put the hide at the darker end of the enclosure.
He's new so will take time to settle in, but you will see a difference too if it's not as bright.

Giancarlo Minotti

Ok. It looks too bright for a redfoot.
This is what I would do.
Black out the back and and ends.
Put an 100w CHE in the left hand lamp connected to your thermostat. But move the lamp to the middle of the enclosure.
For lighting and uvb I would use a small strip light that fits width ways inside hanging from the mesh. Have this near the one end over feeding area. Put tinfoil over every bit of mesh so it creates a closed system.
Your aiming for 80/90f throughout. 82/86f is better. With humidity about 80/90%
That basking light is too bright and will dry your tort out. There's no way it's 80% humidity directly under that light. A tube type light won't light up the entire enclosure and it won't dry your tort out. Dry tort = pyramiding at such a young age.
Try and get some spagnhum moss for in and around your hide. Put the hide at the darker end of the enclosure.
He's new so will take time to settle in, but you will see a difference too if it's not as bright.

Okay this is great, is there a way you can attach links to good strip light lamp and bulb to use that I can hang from the mesh that I could buy. I will go out and get spagnhum moss tomorrow and once I get the strip light and set that up I'll send pics of the set up so you can let me know if its okay, if thats alright with you.

Thanks for all the help

Giancarlo Minotti

Of course it's fine with me. We all here to help and talk torts :D

Where are you in the world. I'm in uk so no point linking uk sites for light if you live in USA

Got the new light, CHE, moss, and rearranged everything. 100w CHE is set to a 86F thermostat and is placed above the cooler area of the tank. Strip light (15w) is placed by the feeding area and set to timer. Humidity has gone up due to the moss and foiled top.

Around 83F/90% in the cooler area and 87F/75% in the hotter area.

Does this look better?

IMG_1036.jpgIMG_1037.jpgIMG_1038.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Looking good
2 things.
If your tort climbs the wall in that corner and flips it will land upside down in the water. Your better off with water dish in middle away from any potential flipping hazards.
Is that UVB sat on mesh, if so you need to find a way so the mesh doesn't block any of the UVB rays.