Humidity?

fern4

image.jpg Question, someone had mentioned to me that I should make sure the humidity levels are high enough in Fern's cage to help with pyramiding. I'm confused because no one has ever mentioned humidity to me before. I got Fern from a breeder and he never said boo about it and until I joined here I never ready anything about it. Fern's breed, the Ibera greek, is from turkey and what I've read they are accustomed to arid and dry heat. So, any insight would be great. If humidity is a must what level should it be at? Thanks!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
I don't have Greeks, and not sure who all does. Sorry. I know for leopards you keep the humidity up for adults too. Atleast provide a humid hide for them. @HermanniChris can probably answer this.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
At her age, her species does not need such attention paid to humidity detail. She's passed the fragile stage so at this point 60% and even much less is sufficient but fresh drinking water should always be available.

fern4

At her age, her species does not need such attention paid to humidity detail. She's passed the fragile stage so at this point 60% and even much less is sufficient but fresh drinking water should always be available.
How low can it go in your opinion? His cage says 35%. He gets soaked every day for 10-20 minutes depending on how cooperative he is. His breeder told me being a dessert tortoise, humidity is a non issue. I'm so confused!! Thanks for your help and your advice.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Well I have to say, whoever told this breeder that T. g. ibera is a desert tortoise might want to go back to keeping goldfish. They are far from that however, they can and do withstand very arid conditions. These tortoises are capable of thriving in highly humid environments and will successfully hibernate in the coldest of winters. Keep up with the soaks, they will only benefit her and fear not, I would certainly not call that pyramiding whatsoever. Slight raising of the carapace scutes is something that occurs even in wild animals (believe me I can show you some pretty pyramided tortoises that were collected in their natural environments) so what you have going on there is nothing to be concerned with.

fern4

Well I have to say, whoever told this breeder that T. g. ibera is a desert tortoise might want to go back to keeping goldfish. They are far from that however, they can and do withstand very arid conditions. These tortoises are capable of thriving in highly humid environments and will successfully hibernate in the coldest of winters. Keep up with the soaks, they will only benefit her and fear not, I would certainly not call that pyramiding whatsoever. Slight raising of the carapace scutes is something that occurs even in wild animals (believe me I can show you some pretty pyramided tortoises that were collected in their natural environments) so what you have going on there is nothing to be concerned with.
Appreciate the quick response. Thank you!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely tort, as I think I may have said elsewhere.
Here in Morocco, we have Greeks of different subspecies, but the humidity where they live is still fairly high, even in summer.
They don't live in the Sahara.
And even the southern subspecies live in comparatively humid valleys.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Tortoises estivate when conditions are unsuitable. They burrow down deep to find the moisture in the earth. They find microclimates, and they make them, too, by peeing in the burrow.

Generally you can provide humidity by having a deep substrate that holds moisture.

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
DUDE! BEST QUOTE EVER! "Well I have to say, whoever told this breeder that T. g. ibera is a desert tortoise might want to go back to keeping goldfish."

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Update?

When we suggest that you change your substrate and ignore the breeder's information, we are hoping that you'll understand how very important this is. This isn't a matter of choice or opinion, it matters terribly. It isn't about you, it's what the animal needs. He may be comfortable with dry hot air, but at ground level and below he needs moisture.

fern4

Update?

When we suggest that you change your substrate and ignore the breeder's information, we are hoping that you'll understand how very important this is. This isn't a matter of choice or opinion, it matters terribly. It isn't about you, it's what the animal needs. He may be comfortable with dry hot air, but at ground level and below he needs moisture.
Ew. Thank you for your concern but that is an old picture. I changed his substrate a year ago on my own when I figured out it wasn't the best choice. Your comment about it not being about me was hurtful and unnecessary. Not that I need to prove anything to you but here is Fern burrowed in his Cyprus mulch, happy and healthy. Please remember a simple how are things going, or have you taken our suggestions will do. image.jpg