Humidity

DrSpurred

Location (City and/or State)
Lambertville, NJ USA
So I have a question on raising the humidity in my 70GL Terrarium. If I put a tub of Water in my Terrarium, will it raise the humidity? If so, should it be placed under a light?

Melis

Maryland
In order to get the proper humidity, you need to have the proper substrate as well as an enclosed chamber. Anything with a screen type lid will allow the humidity to escape. Do you have pics of your enclosure?

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
In order to get the proper humidity, you need to have the proper substrate as well as an enclosed chamber. Anything with a screen type lid will allow the humidity to escape. Do you have pics of your enclosure?

My humidity is already excellent for my Sulcata hahahaha, it was more of a question out of curiosity.

Melis

Maryland
My humidity is already excellent for my Sulcata hahahaha, it was more of a question out of curiosity.
Not sure where the punchline was in the previous statements/questions, I must have missed it...
But looking through your previous posts, I'm glad you got good advice on changing substrate and lighting for your tort. Are you judging the temp and humidity from the gauge that sticks to the aquarium glass? These can be innacurate. What type of lid do you have on your tank? The screen type can affect the humidity level, as well as the UV that is getting through to your tort.

DrSpurred

Lambertville, NJ USA
I have multiple humidity gauges on the tank and they all read a bit over 80. As far my my lid is concern I'm not sure what type it is but it's a completely closed lid. (Lol sorry, there was no punchline I'm a bit over tired and I tend to not make sense after 11PM)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To achieve the necessary humidity level you need damp, not wet, substrate and the correct temperatures in a closed chamber.

The choice of substrate is important. Coco coir and fine grade orchid bark both hold moisture well; they're cheaper from a garden centre or Amazon than from a pet shop. Just make sure there are no additives like fertilisers or white bits, like perlite, that will tempt your tort to eat the substrate. Some brands of tortoise substrate add calcium bits which is appalling... eating substrate is not to be encouraged!

To make the substrate damp, take all the decor out and tip water in from a jug then mix it thoroughly with your hands. Repeat until all the substrate is damp, but not wet.

You can spray with water from a plant spray bottle to slow down the drying out, but it will be necessary to repeat tipping water in every few weeks as the substrate dries.