hybrid box turtle fertility?

The-Great-Stash

5 Year Member
Im just curious, if anyone can possibly help me because different sites have me conflicted. Ive heard that some box turtles can hybridize and produce offspring. So heres my question- if a male ornate and a female carolina eastern produce hybrids (or is it intergrades), would the resulting neonates be fertile or sterile?

I ask cuz I have a male OBT named Wamu who lives with my Texas tort in an outdoor pen and Im considering purchasing a female CEB from a local breeder here in San Antonio who is thtinning out his captive population. I just want to be prepared.

The pics below is Wamu, pronounced 'waa-moo'. Its Japanese for 'worm' cuz he loves superworms, waxworms, mealworms, grubworms and nightcrawlers. But he eats any arthropod in his enclosure, plus dubia roaches from my colony that I use for my geckos.

Attachments

• CAM01211.jpg
    CAM01211.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 37
  • CAM01215.jpg
    CAM01215.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 35

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
They will breed eventually and yes the young will be fertile. All species of North American box turtles are inter fertile

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
He sure is a pretty guy. That is just what happens. Guy vs lady turtle, and you are going to get eggs eventually, and they'll probably be fertile too. If yo do get eggs and they hatch, they'll probably be really gorgeous.