Hygrometer, Thermometer, & UVB Testing

J

Jillian Fricke

How well do the digital hygrometers/thermometers from pet stores work? I need an inexpensive, yet accurate hygrometer and thermometer for my Russian Tort's habitat.

Also, I have a ZooMed Powersun bulb, and I have heard that these bulbs have been producing significantly less UVB after only three months now. Is there a way to test how much UVB a bulb is emitting?

Alexio

Location (City and/or State)
Syracuse, New York
The zoo med probed thermometers work well in my experience. I also like the vavarium electronic thermometer/ hygrometer.

As to the power sun producing uvb, unfortunately the only way you can know for sure is if you buy a UV meter. Which are quite expensive.

Loni

Location (City and/or State)
Maple Ridge, BC Canada
Saw the warnings on here that the little round ones could be inaccurate so I ordered a good one through Amazon. Under $50. Tested them in the same spot. The round one from the pet store said 85F and 65%. The good one through Amazon said 104F and 39% and they were side by side. Thankfully the good one through Amazon arrived prior to my yellow foot hatchling arriving. I would have been cooking it alive and wouldn't have accurate information for the vet. The laser thermometer is also on its way! Thank you Tortoise Forum!