I am worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morwen13

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Great Falls, MT
We have a baby leopard who is about 6 months old, but we aren't really seeing any growth. He seemed to be happy until the last couple of weeks, when he has gotten really jumpy. He did not used to mind being looked at or even picked up, but now as soon as I get in sight he flinches into his shell and will usually not come out until I leave or give him some food. He has never really gained weigh, but sat at about 50g. Now he has lost about 8 grams.

We have his box planted in mixed grasses which he grazes pretty well and give him lettuces for treats sometimes. He has a hide and a water dish, in addition to having a soaking every day or two. The temperature in his room is about 74 F and it is about 95 in the basking spot. He moves into the basking spot and back out throughout the day.

He is still eating well and is very mobile. He has always slept about 12 hours a day or so.

I am concerned about the weight loss and jumpiness. I hope someone has some advice. Thanks.
Flash 3-28-10 003.JPG
Flash 3-28-10 001.JPG
Flash 3-28-10 002.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I'm sure someone will come along and help you, but in the meantime, I just had to post and tell you that I love your enclosure.

Morwen13

10 Year Member!
Great Falls, MT
Thanks Terry,
My husband spend a decent amount of time planning that. We had Flash in a little box like the store recommended, but he spend all his time pacing the walls. There was no way we could keep him there any longer than we had to.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
well, if hes still eating and pooping and active, it doesnt seem like a issue. it doesnt seem normal that hes losing weight though. maybe its possible he could have a parasite.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Marion:

I love your tortoise habitat! What a nice big area for your little guy. The only thing I see wrong with it is the small gravel. Sometimes baby tortoises are just like baby children, and they have to put things into their mouths. Its not a good idea for them to eat gravel, as it might cause impaction.

Don't worry about your baby's growth. If you'll notice all the speckles between the scutes...that's all new growth. It would be a good idea for you to place him on a sheet of paper and draw an outline around him, then do it again, on the same piece of paper in a month. That way you can see that he's growing. The weight loss might be explained by the fact that he needed to poop or pee the first time you weighed him and he might have just pooped or peed the second time you weighed him. Try to weigh him the same time in the same circumstances every time...like right after his soaking.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
I had some issues with my Thor (a now 11 month old Leo).

He hit the 50g mark a while back and it seemed like he'd go to 55, down to 52, up to 54, down to 51 and would hover between 50-55g. This is with the same amount of food each day.

About a month and a half ago, I started increasing the amount of food given and he's now at about 64g. According to the chart, is supposed to be at 70g-ish, but i'm not going to stuff him just so he gets there now. As long as he's gaining weight i'm happy.

There isn't really a good tortoise growth chart for Leopards. I know of only one and if I recall, it doesn't state if it's Babcocki or Pardalis. I have to assume it is in fact Babcocki though.

At 6 months, according to that chart, your tort should be weighing 50g. Of course with any animals, there are smaller and larger specimens of the same species.

http://www.africantortoises.co.uk/leopards.html

As far as the 8 gram weight loss, my Thor never lost that much. He usually only lost 2-3g and that was from pooping.

Maybe slowly increase his food and a vet check would be in order.

Morwen13

10 Year Member!
Great Falls, MT
Just wanted to let you know, we took Flash to the vet and he says there is nothing obvious, no parasites and he looks good. He gave me some supplements to try to help his nutrition levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.