I.D. anyone???

Adam90

Location (City and/or State)
Sarasota
So I rescued some eggs of unknown origin from a construction site (located in S. Florida) where a foundation was being poured so unless they can dig up through 2ft of solid concrete they 100% would've been killed. I know these aren't torts but there HAS to be someone doing some turtle wizardry out there??? Can anyone identify these turts?? Definitely not red ears. Might be chicken turtle, might be yellow ear. Who knows. I may just adopt them out.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220520-162925-579.png
    Screenshot_20220520-162925-579.png
    304.6 KB · Views: 11

zovick

10 Year Member!
So I rescued some eggs of unknown origin from a construction site (located in S. Florida) where a foundation was being poured so unless they can dig up through 2ft of solid concrete they 100% would've been killed. I know these aren't torts but there HAS to be someone doing some turtle wizardry out there??? Can anyone identify these turts?? Definitely not red ears. Might be chicken turtle, might be yellow ear. Who knows. I may just adopt them out.

Thanks!
Those appear to be Yellow-bellied Sliders or something in the slider/cooter family. They do not look like the Chicken Turtles I have owned in the past.

Adam90

Sarasota
Those appear to be Yellow-bellied Sliders or something in the slider/cooter family. They do not look like the Chicken Turtles I have owned in the past.

Yeah that's what I kinda figured I knew they were sliders but I'm not too familiar with them I've never had any aquatic turtles. What threw me off was the absence of a thick yellow band down the side of their heads. Its got really thin pin striping instead. Thank you sir I appreciate it!!!! Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yeah that's what I kinda figured I knew they were sliders but I'm not too familiar with them I've never had any aquatic turtles. What threw me off was the absence of a thick yellow band down the side of their heads. Its got really thin pin striping instead. Thank you sir I appreciate it!!!! Mystery solved as far as I'm concerned.
The two Marks are regular perpetrators of the turtle wizardry that you speak of:
@mark1
@Markw84

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI
Mark is correct, they are cooters. Basically very aquatic, but like to bask. Diet is more herbivorous than sliders. But mainly, they get very big, and will need a very large water-holding habitat
in just a few years, so not the best choice for long-term pets (and turtles are always long-term). Suggest releasing them at the edge of a natural water body with lots of aquatic vegetation to hide in and eat!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Mark is correct, they are cooters. Basically very aquatic, but like to bask. Diet is more herbivorous than sliders. But mainly, they get very big, and will need a very large water-holding habitat
in just a few years, so not the best choice for long-term pets (and turtles are always long-term). Suggest releasing them at the edge of a natural water body with lots of aquatic vegetation to hide in and eat!
But only release them if they're native to your area.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Thanks!
WOW!! 😍 What a compassionate person you are!!!

Adam90

Sarasota
thanks ! i just do what I can, when I can. These Developers down here are hellbent on paving Florida from coast to coast. The least I can do is give our natives a fighting chance. I recently found a different site along the beach dunes (which they plan to clear and build on) And it's one of the only places I've seen wild florida box turtles in high numbers on a regular basis. I've tried over and over to get a hold of several people for advice. I know you NEVER want to relocate box turtles as they don't do well when they're removed from their home range?? but if they stay it's certain death for them.

As far as the cooter situation goes... I put them in my neighbors little pond for now. I'm going to give them a good little head start. Then I plan to find a pond/lake that doesn't have any gators (which is going to be difficult) in the middle of nowhere with a large littoral shelf where they can take advantage of the thick vegetation. I think that's the best course of action.

THANKS ALL !!!