I found a turtle

Arsen258

Hi there. First of all I'm not a native English speaker so I'm sorry for any mistakes. I live in Poland and i found a turtle in my garden. It is probably a pet turtle because there are no turtles int he wild in Poland (i think, maybe in some preserves but not in cities. Back to the point, my dog found him, I've put him in a kind of bowl, gave him some salad and i have no idea what to do next. Is it a sea turtle, should i put him in the water? Help me out as much as you can. There is a photo:

o8V9ojm.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi there. First of all I'm not a native English speaker so I'm sorry for any mistakes. I live in Poland and i found a turtle in my garden. It is probably a pet turtle because there are no turtles int he wild in Poland (i think, maybe in some preserves but not in cities. Back to the point, my dog found him, I've put him in a kind of bowl, gave him some salad and i have no idea what to do next. Is it a sea turtle, should i put him in the water? Help me out as much as you can. There is a photo:

o8V9ojm.jpg

Use the forum and look up Russian tortoise, Agrionemys horsfieldii. Also known as the Central Asian or Horsfield's tortoise.

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Not a sea turtle at all - this is a Russian tortoise, not native to Poland and likely someone's escaped pet (they are known for being great escape artists). Try to locate its original owner, as I am sure they are worried.

Arsen258

p9bguGZ.jpg

I hope i managed to get him comfortable. Gave him some dandelion and i think he'll be fine. I'll look for his owner first thing in the morning (it's almost 10pm there)

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Nicer looking setup, although be warned, it'll likely be able to climb over the sides of that tupperware. You may want to give it a soak in shallow, warm water to help it re-hydrate from its journey.

Arsen258

ok, thanks. It's a bottom of my old rabbit cage. I think I've got the rest somewhere so he'll be locked up :)

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Thank YOU for rescuing him and finding his owner ! Now you are a tortoise's hero.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Happy ending. I like it! !