I Get It. . . Really, I Do!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
You don't want people to know where you are so that you can keep your home and family safe. I get that.

But if you want us to give you good info about taking care of your tortoise, we need to know the general area where the tortoise is kept. It's ok to say something like - South East U.S., or the UK, or Central California. But give us some sort of idea where the tortoise is kept so we can give you better answers to your questions.

Click on your name in the upper right corner of the screen, then over on the right side, about halfway down the page, where it says "Location:" just type in a general location. Then scroll down and click on "save changes"

Entering the info on that page will put your location up for all of us to see.

I thank you! In fact, we all thank you!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Yvonne. I wish I could hit the like button 100 times…

I wonder how many hours I have spent typing the words "Where are you?" over the last few years. Or "Different advice for Morocco vs. Miami…"

We don't need your address. Just a general idea of what part of the world you are in, so that we have some idea of the climate. People in Phoenix or South FL can do things quite a lot differently than people in Oregon or Washington.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wish that info and the type of tortoise/turtle one owns were requirements for joining.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wish that info and the type of tortoise/turtle one owns were requirements for joining.

I don't think it should be required. Someone might not want to divulge what they've got or where they are. For example, if someone had a collection of extremely valuable radiata, they might not want to tell anyone.

It would just be courteous and simpler if people would include this info in their profile info.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't think it should be required. Someone might not want to divulge what they've got or where they are. For example, if someone had a collection of extremely valuable radiata, they might not want to tell anyone.

It would just be courteous and simpler if people would include this info in their profile info.
True, it just gets irritating when someone asks for help and they don't say what species they have and they don't put it in the species section.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)

Don't see why that would be a problem as can put in very general location. SW US. NE US. Malaysia. S of France.

hettisurmail

I've tried doing this a few times but I don't even have a part that says location. I use my mobile to use the forum does that make a difference?

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I have been wondering why it hasn't been required? So many folks ask about the requirements for their torts and leave a pic but forget to say what tort.

Then there are those that ask for temps to keep their torts and you don't know whether to reply with Fahrenheit or Celsius numbers....

Or how about the ones where they ask if they need an heated overnight house? Well duh, how cold does it get? Geez.

Type of torts and state where you reside should be required... At least the state where you reside

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida

We ask where they are or what type it is and they tell so why not post it since they just let the cat out of the bag anyway.

I think it's just a bit 'laziness', a bit 'paranoia', and a whole lot 'in a hurry to join because need help fast'....

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have been wondering why it hasn't been required? So many folks ask about the requirements for their torts and leave a pic but forget to say what tort.

Then there are those that ask for temps to keep their torts and you don't know whether to reply with Fahrenheit or Celsius numbers....

Or how about the ones where they ask if they need an heated overnight house? Well duh, how cold does it get? Geez.

Type of torts and state where you reside should be required... At least the state where you reside
I do farenheit 99% of the time. I figure this forum is based in USA, they can figure out the conversion. It's a pain in the *** for me to do it.