I Get It. . . Really, I Do!

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
A lot of newcomers probably leave it off because they don't realize it matters, minus the conspiracy theorists and the paranoid.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
But yes I'm here every day to talk !
And I've never Hurd that we cannt talk ! Cause that's what makes the TFO the best cause we talk and talk and talk !

tglazie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
I can dig Tom's concern over making it required. Frankly, I'm often astounded that folks don't engage in a more security conscious mindset. For instance, when I went to buy rads from this one fella in Houston, I went with a friend, I told my brother where I was going to be and that if I didn't call him within a three hour period from the time of that meeting that he should call me and, failing that, call a friend of mine in Houston to find out if I had been beaten and robbed or killed so that he could then contact the proper authorities. I also went armed with a large friend, just in case I was going into a bad situation so I could avoid that very situation. To me, this is just common sense. Now, I wanted to meet in a public place, and had urged him to meet me at the herp show that was going on at the time, but at the last minute, he asked I meet him at his house. So, I went over, and everything went well, of course. I just thought it was strange that someone I had only met briefly online (granted, we were introduced via contacts on the forum, and it wasn't as though I had met up with this gent after putting a message in the craigslist wanted section, but still) would trust me enough to invite me into his house. It was also funny given the brief conversation we had over the transaction concerned how many flakes he had met while attempting to sell animals and that it was refreshing to meet someone who says what he means and does what he says. Sorry this is a little off topic, but it is tangentially related given that I take security very seriously. Despite this, I have no qualms in telling folks I'm from South Texas. I'm just not going to divulge any details of my exact location, just that it's within driving distance of the San Antonio metro area. Perhaps even that is a bit too much info, though, but I've always been a fairly cynical person. Keeping tortoises keeps me from going full conspiracy nut, I figure. But still, stay safe. Make it an option. But encourage people to say where they're from, sure, just generally.

T.G.