I had to share some good news

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I just hit the motherlode of dandelion greens, a lifetime supply. I walk my dog around the block 3 times a day, morning noon and night. When I walk him I take a little screwdriver with me to dig up the dandelions I see in my nighbor's yards(with their permission) they don't use pesticides or fertilizers. So yesterday I was walking my dog and stopped to get a dandelion and an older lady asked what I was doing. Well I explained that I pull my neighbors dandelions and feed them to my tortoises and turtles. She then asked if I wanted to see something, following her to the back yard I saw an entire yard of dandelions, as far as the eye couls see. She asked if I would like to have some I said yes after I asked if she uses pesticides or fertilizers, she said no and I eagerly accpted so now two or three times a week I am gonna go over there most likely with my cousins when they come over and we will be pulling dandelions most likely forever. As most of you know I hate buying food and now with this discovery I prob will never have to again, I don't mean to rub anyone's nose in it but I am just so happy I had to share my good fortune. I asked her how this happened she said after her husband died she was ill for awhile and they just slowly took over, by the time she felt good again her entire back yard was covered so she left them alone. I am still amazed at this and can hardly believe it. I am shocked and happy just had to share the news, dandelions forever.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Good news!!! you are very lucky to have neighbors like that, that is very nice of her :D

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
you have to bring your camera and take a picture of that!!!

i would be willing to trade mazuri for dandelion greens.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you live? Need some help? Those dandelions can get heavy after awhile. I also read a very scientific study somewhere that if you don't pull enough, often enough that it... uhhh..... its not good ... or something like that. So, if you need some help, just let us know.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Instead of prying them out of the ground with a screw driver, cut them off at the base with a small knife. That way the plant will live to keep producing tortoise food!

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
So jealous! I was excited when I found one puny one on a walk today! lol

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
That's awesome! Jackpot :)
I can't wait until the spring/summer when the field behind my house is FULL of dandelions, clover, English and common plantain...I love going outside to pick food for Nelson haha ;)

chadk

10 Year Member!
We tort owners are a strange bunch... getting excited over pesty common weeds ;)

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-6921.html?highlight=dandilion

And my other post on them:
http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-7288.html?highlight=dandilion

One of the pics from that link:

attachment.php

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
hey spike instead of greens how about I ship some seeds to you they are much cheaper to ship then the actual greens, I am going back this weekend and I will see what I can find. if anyone else wants some seeds let me know and I will ship some out when I find them. I took a pic of the big bag that I picked but I can't seem to attach photos in a thread after it is started.
ok I just opened a photobucket account so I hope this works
http://s807.photobucket.com/albums

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
hey spike instead of greens how about I ship some seeds to you they are much cheaper to ship then the actual greens, I am going back this weekend and I will see what I can find. if anyone else wants some seeds let me know and I will ship some out when I find them. I took a pic of the big bag that I picked but I can't seem to attach photos in a thread after it is started.
ok I just opened a photobucket account so I hope this works
http://s807.photobucket.com/albums

im so down with that. your photobucket link doesnt work, at least for me.

thats why i use www.tinypic.com

ill PM you now!

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Too bad you can't just take your torts to the yard and let them do the trimming a couple of times a week...or have a tort picnic with Roachman and keep the torts restricted to their own half of the spoils so the species don't mix. ;)

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
emysemys said:
Instead of prying them out of the ground with a screw driver, cut them off at the base with a small knife. That way the plant will live to keep producing tortoise food!

Yvonne, That is kinda selfish. :p The older lady might think it was a good way to get her yard weeded and do a favor to a neighbor and you are encouraging them to regrow. :( Maybe cut some and pull others. Reduce her over grown yard but still have a food source. :D

(Not criticizing or trying to be negative, just a thought)

Dawna

Madortoise

5 Year Member
What a win-win situation--you benefit from weeding and the lady gets her yard cleaned.
She must think you're a God-sent while you probably think she's a tortoise angel!

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Life sure is funny! I've spent the past 20 years ridding my yard of every dandelion, I hate them! Now I buy them at the store!

This spring I will find some to transplant into the tortoise pen! I will still keep my yard free of them.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
bettinge said:
Life sure is funny! I've spent the past 20 years ridding my yard of every dandelion, I hate them! Now I buy them at the store!

This spring I will find some to transplant into the tortoise pen! I will still keep my yard free of them.

I feel the same way. I pay a gardener to keep my lawn weed free, and now I'm sprinkling dandelion seeds in my tortoise pen, and pulling them out from lots and replanting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.