I hate ups!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
My leopard tortoise has been delayed and won't arrive until Monday!! He's going to be dead by then :'( ups got an ear full and is looking for my package now to keep it warm and will call me back when they get there hands on it. Wtf

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
Do you know why was it delayed?

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i had an issue with UPS as well. i got my problem fixed when I found the local dispatch phone number and called them every 5 minutes. when you call main phone number, UPS, they will claim that phone number doesn't exist, so they refuse to give it to you. So I drove around the city, and stopped the first big brown UPS truck I found. explained the situation, asked for the dispatch phone number, and he gladly gave it to me. i eventually got my delayed animal, alive. hope it helps

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
He's about 6 states away because the weather is bad in Boston they told me. I don't know if they were being nice but they did seem concerned when I told them it would be dead. Not cool it was suppose to be a Christmas gift.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
This is one reason why a lot of people won't send live overnight packages out after Wednesday. If something DOES happen, the weekend is in the way.

I pray it works out for you.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
How do they keep it alive if they open my package? Can they keep putting a hand warmer underneath him to keep him warm.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hope things work out for you and your little leopard. During the Christmas holidays, ups usually delivers on the weekends. Why can't they get it to you before Monday? I would insist they deliver him before Monday. He should be on the first flight out of wherever he is. Also, don't wait for them to call you back. Know one returns calls anymore. Keep calling them ever so often until you find him. Tell them they need to put him in a heated room, or if possible, maybe have him shipped back to the seller if they can get him there faster then they can get him to you. Then have him shipped out at a different time. BTW, who shipped him? With the weather conditions the way they were yesterday for a good portion of the country, the seller shouldn't have even shipped him, that my opinion anyway. Good luck again. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

waterboy

5 Year Member
Riverbank, CA
They should have been worried when you told them it would be dead. If he is when you get him you could make a big stink with a local news station and get them in deep trouble and maybe that would keep it from happening again. hope it works out for you.

EricIvins

5 Year Member
If the animal was packed correctly, it should have NO problems arriving alive to you on Monday. I've had animals lost in transit for 10 days. Aside from being a bit dehydrated, they were just fine. UPS is not going to deliver anything on a Saturday that hasn't been booked as a Saturday delivery. The seller may be able to get the delivery upgraded to a Saturday delivery, but expect to pay $15-$20 extra for this, along with a fee for the upgrade itself........

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
waterboy said:
They should have been worried when you told them it would be dead. If he is when you get him you could make a big stink with a local news station and get them in deep trouble and maybe that would keep it from happening again. hope it works out for you.

Yeah just what we all need is more bad reptile publicity.

Headline "Today a UPS shipment with a tortoise in it got delayed and may actually arrive dead. Ok, next story..."

In every delayed shipment we've ever had, I can't recall one ever that actually showed up dead.

I heard this morning that dozens of reptile shipments with UPS that went out yesterday from FL are held up in KY right now. We had a few hang ups earlier this week with FedEx, but apparently UPS is much worse.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
What did it say on the tracking. If it is lost, it will say an exception has occured.Your seller really shouldn't have shipped this late in the week. Sorry to hear this, and I hope things turn out OK.

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Paying extra I don't mind. I knew of the risks having it shipped on a Fri but didnt actually think it would happen to me. He's in Kentucky right now ups just called me back they upgraded shipping free of charge for tom morning. He said he will also call me tomorrow to keep me updated. It's in doors at the moment so atleast it's not sitting on a cold plane. The warehouse manager in Kentucky is well aware of the situation and will do his best from what they tell me. It's tough to get to furious at ups seeing how well they are on the phone with me. Let's hope for the best

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Glad to hear it. Keep us updated.
Richsandwich said:
Paying extra I don't mind. I knew of the risks having it shipped on a Fri but didnt actually think it would happen to me. He's in Kentucky right now ups just called me back they upgraded shipping free of charge for tom morning. He said he will also call me tomorrow to keep me updated. It's in doors at the moment so atleast it's not sitting on a cold plane. The warehouse manager in Kentucky is well aware of the situation and will do his best from what they tell me. It's tough to get to furious at ups seeing how well they are on the phone with me. Let's hope for the best

EricIvins

5 Year Member
I guess people don't realize that UPS or any other overnight carriers are NOT animal couriers in any way, shape, or form. They have the logistics in place to get a package from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible. If a Plane cannot take off due to any number of reasons, UPS is not going to provide for one Tortoise to get to point B and leave all the other packages behind. Anyone that ships knows this. Anyone that doesn't should consider not having an animal shipped at all. This is reality, and this is why the animals should be packed to reflect this possibility........

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
^^^ you pay extra for a service and expect satisfactory results. This is there busiest and most profitable time of the year you would think they know this and would take extra measures to provide customers what they paid good money for. Haven't you ever seen the show air alaska what Kentucky is going through is nothing compared to what other pilots fly in for half the money.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Why would you ship right now? It is pretty much the worst time of year to do so. Things are rushed and congested.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
EricIvins said:
I guess people don't realize that UPS or any other overnight carriers are NOT animal couriers in any way, shape, or form. They have the logistics in place to get a package from point A to point B in the most efficient way possible. If a Plane cannot take off due to any number of reasons, UPS is not going to provide for one Tortoise to get to point B and leave all the other packages behind. Anyone that ships knows this. Anyone that doesn't should consider not having an animal shipped at all. This is reality, and this is why the animals should be packed to reflect this possibility........

I may be wrong, but sounds like you work for UPS? Any way, I have a very long list of complaints with UPS. Most of the drivers don't have a clue and that's why you never get the same driver for very long, in my area that is. Same with FEDEX. I finally got things straight with my now permanent UPS driver. I let him know, I was not one to mess with. FEDEX, still working on them. BTW, if they aren't prepared to ship animals, then they shouldn't do it, plain and simple. If they are going to do it, then they are responsible for delivering a live animal.

Good luck. I really hope they are doing what they are saying and not just blowing smoke up your, well you know. I get the Xmas present thing. But shipping animals is never good at this time of year. That's why I choose to have my chameleon shipped after the first of the year. Hind sight 20/20. Sounds like things will turn out for you, fingers crossed it will. Let us know.

ra94131

5 Year Member
Colorado
Yeah UPS is kinda screwing me over right now, too; albeit on non-tortoise related items. It is obviously a very hectic time for their business, but it's hard to digest when I'm still paying full-price.

I think my biggest issue with UPS isn't the delay or lack of updates; it is the absolutely horrible customer service they provide via telephone. The operators pretty much just read you the online information, say good luck, and try to get you off the phone. I don't pretend to be an expert in their field, but I do know that 95% of the time I'm more upset when I hang up than when I called. And that's too bad. (I find Fed Ex's customer support to be significantly superior, but based on the vendors I use I have less experience with them.)

I hope things turn out well for you and your new tortoise. I think chances are everything will be just fine, but keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.