I killed 1 of my babies

pepsiandjac

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swansea UK
Decided to change shed around , because the small torts had the big enclosure and the big torts were in a smaller part.
Bought all new topsoil (1000 litres)so as not to cross contaminate anything,but when i was shoveling out the Tunisian torts part i found an egg that i must have hit with the spade.
She has never laid eggs in this part before,otherwise I would have been really careful,I did find another egg but dont think its fertile, I was devastated,

11816019_10153647909262044_788262189_n-jpg.143494

Attachments

• 11816019_10153647909262044_788262189_n.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
also no guarantee it's fertile

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It happened because you were being a good Tortoise keeper . So move on she'll lay again soon . I did the same thing with some red foot eggs . I've been trying to produce some offspring but no luck yet .

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Sorry. That's very unfortunate. I worry about that all the time. Don't beat yourself up.

Mantissa3

10 Year Member!
San Francisco Bay Area
That hurts - I'm so very sorry for your loss, but I echo what others have said here. Small comfort to have these words when your heart is broken and you are grieving, I know, but this happened because you were involved in actively loving and keeping your herd. Hoping you find peace about this incident soon, It's really tough,
Karen

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think most of us who get eggs from our tortoises have had a similar experience once or twice. I know this doesn't make you feel better, because it feels awful when it happens, but just know that you are not alone.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I'm sorry this happened to you. But like others have said, don't beat yourself up. Think of it this way: in the wild, not all of the eggs will hatch. Many get broken, eaten or just don't make it to fruition for one reason or another. In captivity it is easier to reduce risks, but even then there will be some losses. Just try to focus on the others and keep doing what you do :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Years back, my cat got into one of the habitats & used it as a litter box - slashing 9 eggs. I didn't know the old cat could jump that high or that eggs were there or that I had a breeding pair. Not a happy moment.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry to have just read your sad post. TRY to take it easy: you did not do it deliberately.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
So sorry.
Just an accident but know you must feel awful.
These things happen, sadly.

turtlelady80

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Farm
Yikes...these things happen. Not a guarantee that it would have hatched out. Don't beat yourself up. I'm sorry that that happened:(