i know this might be wierd

adder36

Location (City and/or State)
west texas
i know this might be a little weird but why does a sulcata bob their heads is it acknowledge that they see you or is it because of being territorially or is it just its way of being a rotten little tort let me know wat you guys think

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
territorial, aggression along those lines. when does your tortoise do this head bobbing?

adder36

west texas
when i feed him and i wake him. hes only a 6 month old hatchling he acts like a toddler

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My little one is always bobbing a little, but she is a heavy breather. My big guy bobs when he sees another tortoise and then runs up to them to give them a good once over and then he's over it and wanders off.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is breathing.

Babies are not aggressively territorial that way and I've never seen an adult male sulcata bob its head in a territorial way either.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
That is breathing.

Babies are not aggressively territorial that way and I've never seen an adult male sulcata bob its head in a territorial way either.
I hadn't thought about that. My leopards don't either. My Russians do though. Do leopards or Sulcatas have other displays, or do they just up n ram?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hadn't thought about that. My leopards don't either. My Russians do though. Do leopards or Sulcatas have other displays, or do they just up n ram?

Aggressive or territorial leopards and sulcatas just go right to chasing and ramming or flipping. Sulcatas want to bash and smash their opponents and shove them back into the next county, while leopards seem more determined to try and flip their adversaries.

adder36

west texas
is it possible for a tortoiseto not care for there processed tortoise diet food because mine would rather eat a moist piece of fresh kale or grass from my yard (washed of course ) cause neighborhood dog and cats urinate on everything but nevertheless is that ok

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
is it possible for a tortoiseto not care for there processed tortoise diet food because mine would rather eat a moist piece of fresh kale or grass from my yard (washed of course ) cause neighborhood dog and cats urinate on everything but nevertheless is that ok
I personally think fresh is best, if you can get it and its safe from chemicals and fertilisers etc. with pellets and the like used to supplement/compliment diet. My tort won't eat pellets (not tried Mazuri (?) type) and weeds are hard to find in UK at the moment so he's on mixed salad bags like Florette classic crispy, with kale, pak choi ,spring greens romaine, various leaves from things like carrots radishes beetroot etc - whatever I can get that's tort safe to give him variety all served with a garnish of ground Readigrass!!