I need some advice. (losing weight)

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi all,
I’ve had my Russian since April and he has slowly gained weight since. During the summer he spent most of the day outside and came in at night. Since the weather has been bad he has been inside in a tortoise table. Since he was growing well I stopped weighing him weekly and I started to weigh him monthly. Last time I weighed him about two months ago he weighed 88 g my scales have been dead and I just put the battery in them today and weighed him and he now weighs 75 g. He still eating but just not as much, he still up an alert most of the day.
Lights on now on for 14 hours per day.
I am seriously struggling with food variety since he has been inside. He is generally having the same three leaves every day as everything else in the garden is dead. I am in the UK any help really appreciated

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Firstly, don't panic too much.

Activity and appetite does drop off in the winter months. I am surprised he has been outside so much as until he is 100g at least he really needs the high humidity and warmth of a closed chamber 24/7.

Go back to basics.

Start with temperatures. The enclosure ambient temperature must be at least 26C day and night and basking temperature must be 35-37C directly under the lamp. Use a temperature gun to double and triple check it as the changing temperatures outside affect the temperatures indoors. You will need a Ceramic Heat Emitter and a thermostat to maintain nighttime temperatures and you will need to cover the enclosure.

You have to kid your tort it is summer, so the UVB and basking lamp need to be on for 14 hours a day. Use a timer to make life easier. If things are still a bit gloomy in the enclosure you may need an extra light to brighten things up - nothing special, an LED desk lamp might be enough.

Soak your tort every morning for at least 20 minutes in warm water before he has warmed up properly. While he soaks, tidy the enclosure and place food. He is most likely to have an appetite early on and straight after a soak.

Food is more limited in the winter months. Variety is variety over time and not in a single meal. Torts in the wild will eat what is available seasonally and that changes. You can do the same thing. Write a list of what you can buy in the supermarket and then look it up on The Tortoise Table Plant Database for suitability to feed. You will find that there is more than you think available even in winter; you just need to do some homework... Sprouts, for example, are just coming into season and can be fed in moderation; you may not like them but my tort loved them.
Link to the Tortoise Table https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk

Few of us manage in winter without using a pelleted food as a supplement. Soak it in water before offering it. I used Komodo.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Thanks Linda.
I think my temperatures are okay I have the I R gun. My night temperatures dip a little lower maybe 22. He’s no less active just eating a little less.
I know everyone recommends keeping tortoises inside most of the day when under 100g but my little guy thrived outside. I wrote several posts on here about how much of a difference in his eating and activity whilst outside. I just think he sulking.
I’m off to the supermarket to see what I can get him. I’ve got Komodo and I’ve also got pre alpin but he doesn’t touch either maybe I need to persevere more with it

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Thanks Linda.
I think my temperatures are okay I have the I R gun. My night temperatures dip a little lower maybe 22. He’s no less active just eating a little less.
I know everyone recommends keeping tortoises inside most of the day when under 100g but my little guy thrived outside. I wrote several posts on here about how much of a difference in his eating and activity whilst outside. I just think he sulking.
I’m off to the supermarket to see what I can get him. I’ve got Komodo and I’ve also got pre alpin but he doesn’t touch either maybe I need to persevere more with it

We did have an unusually hot summer this year which probably has a lot to do with it :D

It’s less like their climate in the wild now! Winter activity always drops off. They just know the days are shorter and the weather colder!

drew54

Indiana
Thanks Linda.

Try to keep your temps no lower than 27 and lights on for 12-14hrs. That should help.