Weight?

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
New owner of a baby sulcata! Super excited but kinda concerned. I weighed my new baby on Friday and he weighed 48g and now not even two days later he has put on another 5g now weighing 53g. Is this at all a normal growth rate for a baby sulcata? Also he has not been moving on and off of his basking rock and the only time he does is when I mist his tub or to eat when I A.) put fresh food down or B.) wake him up while misting. Could this be a sign of sickness? I know he's been pooping and peeing as he did his duty in my hand the other day. Any advise on why he is so.... sluggish (even for a tortoise)?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and welcome. First thing you will want to make sure is perfect is your heating, lighting and humidity. Check out Tom's posts on how to raise a sulcata. All the external factors are very important to get to quickly and maintain 24/7. I'm not sure why you are concerned about the gain in weight? Make sure thst you are soaking daily as well. Our Sully likes his morning soaks to be at 101F. Do you have a nice warm dark moist hide for him? Heat on a thermostate? Best of luck! Post some pix of your tort and set-up.

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
If all your temperature, humidity, diet, and lighting needs are being met the weight gain and activity level are nothing to be concerned about. Their weight can change a surprising amount day to day. As long as they are averaging up at a relatively steady pace relax. Little ones can be pretty sedate if their needs are being met. The key point being if all their requirements are being satisfied.

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
Sorry for the long wait, but seeing as how it's almost been a year and I've been browsing old threads I figured I'd let you know that worries are over. He's 800g at least by now and I got him an upgrade about 2-3 months ago.
eb4e160cfd6b4424cec9a5ef76439122.jpg
084fcdfeaa2fdc4a7950fd894c7c552b.jpg
I've also changed his name a few times [emoji13] but mostly it is just "it". Regardless I love "it".
9268ddab47bfb50384c9a3ac01b328d6.jpg
Here's "it's" enclosure.
ba11f34afd71fcd4e254e6f92c2f7454.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! It looks great...almost ready to be moved outside. What a nice-looking little tortoise. You done good, kiddo!

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Texas
Wow! It looks great...almost ready to be moved outside. What a nice-looking little tortoise. You done good, kiddo!
Thanks Yvonne! I'm saving up money to build an 8' x 24' enclosure out of landscaping ties from Lowes. It means a lot seeing as how "it" was kind of an impulse buy and a day of research. So thankful for all the TFO members who have given me great advise and gotten us where we are [emoji4]
e929fa27214cf58c7cdd2c48651c2afc.jpg

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
Thanks Yvonne! I'm saving up money to build an 8' x 24' enclosure out of landscaping ties from Lowes. It means a lot seeing as how "it" was kind of an impulse buy and a day of research. So thankful for all the TFO members who have given me great advise and gotten us where we are [emoji4]
e929fa27214cf58c7cdd2c48651c2afc.jpg
Your baby's adorable!