i need to make a decision.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Thank for your input and picture, Mark. And welcome!

I don't know if the fruit gas is harmful to the turtles and tortoises, but it IS true that fruits give off the gas.

Deborah S

5 Year Member
I live in eastern Pennsylvania and have had 3 rescued box turtles for 14 years – 1 male and 2 female.

From April through October, they live happily in their outside wooden enclosure which is made out of 2" x 12" lumber. It measures 4’ x 6’ and has a framed and hinged chicken wire lid to keep critters out. I have found this enclosure to be a bit small for the 3 of them, so I intend to enlarge it this spring.

From November through March, they hibernate in a 40-gallon, screened-top aquarium (se e picture) which I place inside my unheated, attached garage. I fill the aquarium with equal parts of well-moistened sphagnum peat moss, organic soil and shredded newspaper. Approximately 3 weeks before their natural instinct to hibernate kicks in, they stop eating on their own. When I notice that they are digging down into the soil and staying there for most of the time (late October to early November), I know that it’s time to remove them from their outside enclosure, give them each a good soaking to hydrate them prior to hibernation, and transfer them to the aquarium where they dig down into the substrate for the winter. I check on them every few weeks during their hibernation to monitor their health, as well as to check on the substrate’s moisture level.

I have had very good luck using these methods. According to their vet, they are happy and healthy turtles.

DSC01883.JPGDSC01884.JPG

ColleenT

Location (City and/or State)
Lehigh Valley Pa
thanks. I have an attached garage, but the temperature in the garage is never more than 2 or 3 degrees higher than the outdoors. I really worry that trying to hibernate my guys in the garage would be a bad idea. But my hubby has agreed to rent a small bobcat and we are going to dig a hibernaculum in the outdoor pen we are building. It will be 3-4 feet deep and 3-4 feet wide( square) Then we will dig down a foot all around the pen and bury some walls so they don't dig out/under. I have started some clover growing in a seed starter. I'm excited for the new enclosure. it will be 6 ft by 16 feet. and the walls will be 3 feet high b/c of my dogs.