I planted some wheat grass

Careym13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern Virginia
So I planted some wheat grass seeds in my enclosures. Well, I didn't really plant it...I just sprinkled in the areas where the substrate is moister. My smaller Leopard is now surrounded by nice tall grass that he won't eat any of and my larger one ate all the seeds and so he has no grass. Then I tried burying the seeds for the pig tortoise so maybe they would sprout before he ate them....nope...still dug them up and ate them. It was a nice thought at least.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I had the same experience. Little tortoise thinks I made her a jungle. Big tortoise thinks I dropped some crumbs that need to be disposed of ASAP.

Prairie Mom

What cute funny tortoises!!:D

I used wheat grass and barley seeds often last winter and will be doing the same thing this year, along with other grasses and plants. I had really good success planting them in small pots and placing the pot sunk into a corner of the enclosure whenever the grass was big enough. I also scooped out substrate and put in removable trays of grass, wheat, and a few other weeds when they grew big enough.

Whenever I put in a full tray of wheat and other goodies, my tortoise acted like it was Christmas morning:)
wheat grass smaller.jpg mavis grass tray smaller 2014.jpg

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
What cute funny tortoises!!:D

I used wheat grass and barley seeds often last winter and will be doing the same thing this year, along with other grasses and plants. I had really good success planting them in small pots and placing the pot sunk into a corner of the enclosure whenever the grass was big enough. I also scooped out substrate and put in removable trays of grass, wheat, and a few other weeds when they grew big enough.

Whenever I put in a full tray of wheat and other goodies, my tortoise acted like it was Christmas morning:)
View attachment 156243 View attachment 156244
I actually think I'm going to do that with the larger leopard. If he likes the seeds hopefully he will like the grass. If only I could get the smaller one to go for it.