I want to know if what I'm doing is right

xelius

Location (City and/or State)
Alexanderia
Hey guys I have a dessert tortoise and if it isn't already obvious I know basically nothing about this but I bought it from a pet store in Egypt the guy said theyre really good pets so I bought them so basically i have him in a little basket and it's kinda small I put some lettuce for him in it but he looks healthy he eats all of the lettuce and when he does I bring him new lettuce and he poops and I clean it up and stuff and he sleeps alot since its winter that's what the guy told me when he wakes up hes really active then after a bit he sleeps I let him out of his basket when he wakes up because he tries to get out I let him roam the house while I watch him so nothing bad happens then he gets bored and goes back in his shell and sleeps so basically please someone tell me if what I'm doing is bad or anything and tell mr what I should/shouldn't do I got him about a month ago first he pooped and peed alot and didnt eat and slept inside of his shells now he keeps his head outside of the shell and rarely poops and he eats a lot and when he eats he poops but rarely pees so yeah please someone tell me im worried if I'm doing something wrong

xelius

Alexanderia
I let him back in his small basket when he's sleeping and let him out when he's awake so I let him roam around freedly since his basket dosent allow him too

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello and welcome!

Can you post some pictures, so we know what tortoise specie do you have (they all need different needs)?

You are right, that they need space for a walk. Unfortunately, letting him roam around the house is not a good idea. No matter, how closely you watching, accidents happen and many of them are fatal. He needs a large and safe space to walk, if possible - outside (in the garden or on the balcony).

Also, do not feed him not only lettuce. Tortoises need varied diet. Maybe you can get him hibiscus leaves and flowers? Or there are opuntia cacti growing in your area?

Also take some time and read this post:
It's a wealth of information on how to care for tortoises and a great starting point.

xelius

Alexanderia
Hello and welcome!

Can you post some pictures, so we know what tortoise specie do you have (they all need different needs)?

You are right, that they need space for a walk. Unfortunately, letting him roam around the house is not a good idea. No matter, how closely you watching, accidents happen and many of them are fatal. He needs a large and safe space to walk, if possible - outside (in the garden or on the balcony).

Also, do not feed him not only lettuce. Tortoises need varied diet. Maybe you can get him hibiscus leaves and flowers? Or there are opuntia cacti growing in your area?

It's a wealth of information on how to care for tortoises and a great starting point.
It's a desert tortoise, and don't worry when I let him out I watch him very closely he goes to sleep soon anyways I don't put my eyes off of him

xelius

Alexanderia
Hello and welcome!

I had a tortoise one time and I put him in balcony he lived safely but after a few months something ate him and he died probably a rat or something and I can't put him in a garden unfortunately because i live inside of an apartment

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need to see pictures so we know exactly what species you have
He can't live in a small basket and eat just lettuce
He needs proper light and heat and humidity and proper enclosure and diet.
If you can't give us what we need then we can't help you!
You already said you know nothing, so let us educate you. But in order to do so, we have to know what species to educate you on!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It's a desert tortoise, and don't worry when I let him out I watch him very closely he goes to sleep soon anyways I don't put my eyes off of him
It is not a desert tortoise, Gopherus agassizii, because you don't have those over there. It is likely one of the Testudo. A picture or two will allow us to ID your tortoise for you and make sure you have the correct care info.

It is not safe to let them roam the house and it can't be made safe. Many tortoises die that way and we see it here several times a year. It is also too cold and that is why he's closing up in the shell and just sitting there. If you want this tortoise to survive, it needs a proper enclosure with substrate and heat lamps. It also needs the correct foods.

All of that info is right here:

And more info in the thread that Alex linked for you. Please take a minute to read through that info and make some changes. Questions are welcome. We will be glad to help you.