I want to repurpose a bookcase into a tort habitat

For-Mr.Spock

Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Screenshot_20200224-140548_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200224-140507_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200224-140501_Chrome.jpg
My Russian tortoise is currently 5 inches in length from front to end of shell. The space he is in right now is only 5 cubic feet, so I want to get something bigger set up for him soon. I also want to not poison him with the wrong sealant. I thought the bookcase could be repurposed as it is of good size and length. For the bottom, would a tarp work? Or should I waterproof some plywood and fit it into the bookcase?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I come a cross this post earlier this morning in the forum and I think it may give you some idea for your bookcase enclosure project.

Boris's new larger enclosure made from Argos bookcase

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I would just cruise Craigslist and you might get one for free. I would use UGL Drylock or Pond Liner to paint the sides but use some actual pond lining material or thick plastic to do the bottom to protect it from the moisture in the substrate. Even for a russian the substrate will have enough mositure to wreck a normal paint or sealer.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since russians are diggers, any type of plastic liner isn't going to stay in one piece for very long. It would be much better to either use pond liner or water proof the wood.

DJ Kirk

Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I put down some anti-fatigue mats from the $ store before I put down a thick pond liner. Works great for waterproofing and stops the digging when it reaches the hard mat.