Id this tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nm767

5 Year Member
My dad found a tortoise swimming in his swimming pool today. He saved it. Any info on it? What kind is it?

Attachments

• image-3194701710.png
    image-3194701710.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 74
  • image-2640847158.png
    image-2640847158.png
    530.9 KB · Views: 55

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Box turtle, most likely a 3 toe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Nick:

DMMJ is right on. Its a male 3-toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). And since you are in Lodi, California, it is someone's escaped pet, as they are not native to California.

Your best bet is to put up signs on the utility poles around your neighborhood. Usually "found" ads are free in the newspaper. You can place a "found turtle and your phone number", giving no more info than that, so that folks who call you have to tell YOU what they lost.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
three toed box turtle and male!!...Why cant i find these in my yard?..lol.....if you choose to adopt it out...I would adopt him...Im in San Pablo Ca.....a few hrs from you....I have 3 other ttbt's.....

Nm767

5 Year Member
Yeah my dad found it in his pool down near Fresno. I'm not sure what he's doing with it. It sounds like my sisters friend might have lost her turtle at his house last week. He's going to update me with the outcome.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
ok..well it's good if he gets returned to his owner, however if not please keep me in mind.....and in the meantime...box turtles can eat almost anything..fresh fruits and veggies and worms and such.....

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Yep, it's a male three-toed box turtle, all right, and a nice one at that! :)

Note: This thread is titled "ID this tortoise," but box turtles are not true tortoises. They are actually terrestrial pond turtles, and as indicated above, they are more omnivorous than tortoises.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Aren't turtles also tortoises? or vice a versa?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
Aren't turtles also tortoises? or vice a versa?

LOL ... weren't we just talking about this?! :)

"Do you like it when people call your tortoise a turtle?"

The word "turtle" refers to all reptiles in the order Testudines, which includes marine, freshwater, and terrestrial members.

The word "tortoise" usually refers to that family of turtles specialized for a terrestrial, herbivorous existence (Testudinidae), although in Australia, it may also refer to aquatic side-necked turtles (family Chelidae). Either way, American box turtles are not closely related to tortoises, because they are in the New World pond turtle family (Emydidae).

I point this out mainly so that people learning about boxies appreciate that they are not as herbivorous as true tortoises (family Testudinidae), but rather are omnivorous, eating invertebrates, as well as scavenging meat from time to time.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
Beautiful Male TTBT, id be interested in knowing the outcome either way :), and Geoterratestudo that is the BEST explination ive heard yet! WTG! :)

Nm767

5 Year Member
Story I'm getting is my sisters friend found it somewhere. Brought it over several days ago and was showing my nephew and somehow they lost it in the backyard. My dad found it today swimming in his pool and took it out. Sounds like they are going to keep it unless they are able to locate the owner.

I'm trying to direct my sister to this forum so she can see how to build a turtle table or a decent enclosure for it. She thought a 10 gallon tank would be fine. Hopefully my dad helps her out with a table or something.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Nm767 said:
Story I'm getting is my sisters friend found it somewhere. Brought it over several days ago and was showing my nephew and somehow they lost it in the backyard. My dad found it today swimming in his pool and took it out. Sounds like they are going to keep it unless they are able to locate the owner.

I'm trying to direct my sister to this forum so she can see how to build a turtle table or a decent enclosure for it. She thought a 10 gallon tank would be fine. Hopefully my dad helps her out with a table or something.

Ya 10 gallon is way too tiny for an adult boxie ! Well if ur sister doesn't want it , send it to jojo and it will be well taken care of :)

Status
Not open for further replies.