• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Found baby in pool

Kristy1970

Location (City and/or State)
Addis, LA
I guess the odds of it dying is good if I put it back in the pond in my subdivision? We’ve had red eared sliders come to the front and back door looking for a place to lay eggs, we are about 1/4 mile from the pond. This one must have just hatched

Reptilony

QC, CAN
We spent so much money on the sulcata and it’s a lot of work, so how much work are these guys?
They need big heated tanks with basking stations, I mean BIG tanks, especially if it’s a female, or if you live in a warm climate it may live outdoor all year in the pond.

Kristy1970

Addis, LA
I personally would just put it back in the pond. These guys are a lot of work, lol
I’m leaning that way too[emoji23], it’s so darn cute! We are in south Louisiana and it is HOT and humid... we plan on selling and building a house on our property in the county and are digging a pond and sticking it.

Kristy1970

Addis, LA
I added warm water and a heater and bigger rock. This guy has no fear. Would have definitely downed in the pool, impossible for it to get out.IMG_0020.jpgIMG_0021.jpg

Kristy1970

Addis, LA
It’s hanging out on the warm side by the space heater I plugged in. Guess I should shop the Facebook market place for used tanks [emoji849]

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Guy on Facebook 1 town over has a 55 gallon tank for $75 ... is that cheap? It’s in excellent condition, looks new
About two or 3 times a year, Petco has a "dollar per gallon" sale. So a 55g = $55.00. Most of the stores go up to 75g on the sale. If you can get by for a while, might be worth checking it out. I'm not sure when the next one is.

Kristy1970

Addis, LA
Thanks Karen, I’ll try to get him down to $60, finding the little guy today, poor thing is in a plastic storage bin, covered with a dollar tree shower curtain and a little electric heater trying to keep temps warm enough [emoji31]