Idea for my sulcata's new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostMD

5 Year Member
Ok i have been doing my research and i want to upgrade my enclosure to have 2 levels, the top level will be where food sun and water will be, there will be 2 holes on each side of the top level for the ramps to the bottom level, on the bottom level which will be about 6 in of space between the very bottom flooring and the roofing/flooring of the top level and will be filled with dirt. The ramps from the second level will join together to make a main den which will probably take up one cornor and then my little guy will have tons of burrow space and with out the worry of his borrows collapesing. Ill be starting soon from scratch and will take very detailed notes of everything. I just joined this fourm but iv been on it for months. Cant wait for feed back

This is his home right now, and if you can picture 2 of the tables stacked on top of each other, then you would have an very rough idea of what im going for

This is where my idea for the new table came from plus a posting of RV's burrow and the dude climbing all the way in it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrfi1ThchbA

Attachments

• 264839_240204276009513_100000598278575_915588_3315318_n.jpg
    264839_240204276009513_100000598278575_915588_3315318_n.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 172

Jacob

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Thats Awesome :)
By The Way I Have The Same Color Carpet In My House!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I am having a hard time picturing it. I would get rid of the sand and use a different substrate, also add a humid hide until you get your burrows built.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I agree with Angi.. No sand.. more humidty. That would be my first priorty. Your little guy appears to already have some pyrimiding..
Welcome.. you will learn A lot here!

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to TFO, I have to agree with Laura and Angi, change the substrate to something that can hold moisture and aid in humidity. Also if you are not already you may want to start soaking your Sulcata to avoid any further pyramiding. There are great care sheets on here for Sulcatas :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I think your idea is fantasic...a tortoise condo... :D

I get worried anytime I see a tortoise housed on sand...there is a huge possibility for your tortoise to ingest sand while eating and become impacted...and that be a lethal condition for a tortoise. I would imagine it would be harder for your guys to "burrow" in with the sand as well as the eye irritant potential, all in my opinion :D

Good luck!

LostMD

5 Year Member
the sand was changed a couple months ago when i found this site and became very well informed about sullys. that pic was taken when i first built the tortoise table awhile ago.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey! I'm the "dude" that climbed into RV's burrow!

Your idea sounds really cool to me. I can't wait to see it done. That Russian video and your idea is giving ME ideas! I'll be watching for updates on your progress.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dalano73 said:
LostMD said:
I got the idea from this video and from the thread of this guy crawling into a full grown sulcata's burrow show how deep it was

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrfi1ThchbA

Not sure if you posted the wrong video but that's not a Sulcata.. I believe the video is of a russian

Okay I miss understood your post until Tom posted. You got your ideas from the Video and Tom climbing into RV's burrow. Sorry about that...

LostMD

5 Year Member
Im really excited, so ill recording everything and my goal is to make it big enough to last awhile.

LostMD

5 Year Member
Ok im back! Finaly, i just now got started on the idea, i have been real busy with college ( future neurosurgon here ). But i was on winter break and the only christmas present i wanted for my self was wood to build my sully's new home, only you guys can understand that, everyone else thought i was insane. I have tweaked my idea abit and here is what i got, the building part is done i just need to water seal the inside to prevent rot and then ill add about 6 or 8 inches of dirt and peat moss (60/40). The whole table is 3 ft long, 2 1/5 ft wide, and 15 inches tall. and where you see the big "X" is going to be cut out and that will be the enterance to his burrow. Everything will be finished before monday because that is when i go back to school, so the finshed produce will be up in a couple of days!!! im so excited to post this because none of my friends or family understand how cool this is, 99% of then dont even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.... i mean come on really, one lives in water and the other on land, not a hard concept lol

Attachments

• IMG_20120102_200349.jpg
    IMG_20120102_200349.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20120105_165912.jpg
    IMG_20120105_165912.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20120107_011327.jpg
    IMG_20120107_011327.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20120107_011715.jpg
    IMG_20120107_011715.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20120107_011919.jpg
    IMG_20120107_011919.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 53

herbortamus

5 Year Member
Florida
LostMD said:
im so excited to post this because none of my friends or family understand how cool this is, 99% of then dont even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise.... i mean come on really, one lives in water and the other on land, not a hard concept lol

I feel your pain. This a real coversation I had less than a week ago with a coworker:
them: so do you have water for him to swim in?
me: no, he's a tortoise.
them: what?
me: he's a desert tortoise. he doesn't swim.
them: what? I didn't even know they had those!

ripper7777777

10 Year Member!
Houston
Looks great, He'll love the burrow, I have a small burrow hide and Peanut uses it alot, it was the only way I could get him to sleep in a hide and in his favorite corner.

Make sure you can get into the burrow, either removable lid or reaching in.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Okay. I see it taking shape. Keeps the updates and pics coming.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Looking good! Can't wait to see the burrow idea in action.
Yes, you are in the company of folks who think what you are doing and how you want to spend your time makes complete sense and is a no brainer :rolleyes:

LostMD

5 Year Member
Everything is done!!! im so happy, ill have lots of pic up soon, tho im have an issue with him not using the new burrow, he just finds a random corner and calls it a day, im hoping he'll grow to love it because there is lots of oportunity to dig in it. Cant wait to get the camera up and running, cell phone pics wont do this justic lol

Status
Not open for further replies.