Ideas to increase activity?

Violanna

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
So I’m noticing Rocky pretty much wants to sleep all day. He isn’t acting sick or lethargic. He is eating plenty twice a day(he doesn’t finish in one sitting). He mostly sleeps on the warm side but moves around to the cool side for a couple hours a day. He is pretty much only awake to eat and move to a new spot. I know he isn’t trying to hibernate but that decreased activity is normal this time of year. But I kind of think it’s mostly due to the fact he has spent his whole life in tiny cages and isn’t used to freedom.

Is there anything I can do for him to help encourage some more activity? I don’t want to stress him out though.

Violanna

Texas
What type and age is the tortoise?
How new is the enclodure?
Are you certain it is warm enough?

He is an adult Russian, no clue his age. I’ve had him a week. Yes it is perfect temp, I’m a little crazy about checking, and our house doesn’t go below 74 as I have young kids. I’m pretty much just giving him his space and letting him figure things out and acclimate. Not wanting to get him stressed.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would assume it's the new surroundings.
Most tortoises have a reaction after being subjected to a drastic change.
Not moving around as much and not eating are most common. But your temps are too low.
While 74 would be ok as a night time temperature. It's too low to digest food.
You need a temperature of at least 80 for that and closer to 90 on the hotter side.
Do you mean to say that 74 is the normal, daily temperature? If so, that is your issue.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He does need time to get adjusted. He needs basking temp of 95-100 day temp of 80 and then you can let it drop at night to 65 or whatever low your house gets. Also give him lots of coverage like plants live or fake. Just be sure he's not one to eat the fake plants. Some do some don't.
Fast movements and above movements will scare them so teach the kid to be calm around him.

Violanna

Texas
I would assume it's the new surroundings.
Most tortoises have a reaction after being subjected to a drastic change.
Not moving around as much and not eating are most common. But your temps are too low.
While 74 would be ok as a night time temperature. It's too low to digest food.
You need a temperature of at least 80 for that and closer to 90 on the hotter side.
Do you mean to say that 74 is the normal, daily temperature? If so, that is your issue.

I didn’t say his enclosure was 74 [emoji23] my house is!! His enclosure is about 75-78 on the cool side and 100 exactly on the hot side.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your going to have to give him more than a week to get settled in. It took every bit of a month until my Tortoise settled down and developed a normal routine.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
It took my Darwin a few weeks until he got comfortable in his enclosure, and he seems to be growing into it more each day.

Jamie

Violanna

Texas
Oh I know, I’m not wanting to mess with him or force him into anything. I’m asking more for the future