Identify Tortoise Before Adopting?

urche0n

Location (City and/or State)
Edmonton, Alberta
Hi! I’m brand new here.
A family member is looking for a new home for their tortoise, and I am considering adopting it.
They are unsure of the type of tortoise this is and I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to provide more info that would help me research care info more specific to this tortoise.

I’m told the tortoise is 23 years old, so far I only have the above picture but can try to get more if it would be helpful.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site!

Attachments

• IMG_9596.jpeg
    IMG_9596.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 4

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi! I’m brand new here.
A family member is looking for a new home for their tortoise, and I am considering adopting it.
They are unsure of the type of tortoise this is and I was hoping someone on this forum might be able to provide more info that would help me research care info more specific to this tortoise.

I’m told the tortoise is 23 years old, so far I only have the above picture but can try to get more if it would be helpful.

Thanks for all the helpful info on this site!
That is a turtle rather than a tortoise. It is a Three-toed Box Turtle. They have different needs than tortoises, so please be aware of that if/when you adopt it. Their diet is more omnivorous than that of a tortoise and they like a fairly moist habitat with more water availability.