Ignorant keeper.

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
So, my friend found a tortoise, a sulcata, she said shes going to keep it, but doesn't want to spend money on it. She is only getting he information from google. And im very concerned for the tortoise she found. It is the sister of my tort because she found it in the same place as ours. She doesn't know how expensive it is, i told her she should come onto here, she wont. So what should I do? I dont want the little one to die! She is keeping it in a small tub. And she has no hide, light, or food. She is currently only feeding it hibiscus leaves... She keeps telling me "well you got a turtle, why cant I have one too? I'm perfectly qualified for this." But she wont spend a dime on it. And her "hide" is a box with the bottom cut out, flipped on its side. Her baby is VERY small. And still has ALOT of its yolk sac.

What should I tell her? If she offered, i would take her baby, since I'm getting a large enclosure. But since hers is so tiny, I don't think mine and hers are compatible.
Anyways, what do you all think?

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Tortoises should not be housed in pairs. Even in groups tortoises have been known to cause conflict. Separation is the safest answer.

There's nothing you can legally do if your friend refuses to hand over the tortoise and or change her ways. You can attempt to call various organizations and report her for animal neglect, however, many of these organization do not often respond to such calls. Some of them don't consider one tortoise (common species) situations a priority. Also you have to realize that the information specifying level of care offered from sites such as tortoise forum is quite different than what other organizations are taught with. These organizations may not know what you know.

You can still try, you never know. Offer her specific information regarding the need for items such as UVB light, basking light, ceramic heat emitters, water dish, hides, and other essential tools.

Princess Nova

Rainier, OR
I agree with @/minority2 that tortoises shouldn’t be housed together, ever.
Honestly.. it’ll suck, but I would do as much for the tortoise as you can afford yourself. Buy it a proper hide, proper lighting, substrate, the works. Babies especially need lots of care, more so than adults. Maybe your friend will end up (unfortunately) getting bored of the tort and let you have it, then you can properly care for it.
Good luck [emoji53]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Take… Uhh… I mean rescue her tortoise when she isn't looking, and then unfriend her permanently.

I cannot be "friends" with anyone who knowingly and willfully neglects or abuses animals. When someone just doesn't know better, that's one thing. When someone is told what is needed by a friend who has the same pet and has been researching and learning, and then disregards the info to the detriment of the animal, that is intentional abuse. This Dude does not abide...

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Take… Uhh… I mean rescue her tortoise when she isn't looking, and then unfriend her permanently.

I cannot be "friends" with anyone who knowingly and willfully neglects or abuses animals. When someone just doesn't know better, that's one thing. When someone is told what is needed by a friend who has the same pet and has been researching and learning, and then disregards the info to the detriment of the animal, that is intentional abuse. This Dude does not abide...

I'm with Tom... she probably wouldn't even notice it was gone for a few days.

Emily Contreras

Arizona

I'll try. She really doesn't pay attention to it.. it is just slowly starving right now.. If I really wanted to, I could just grab it. But I don't know.. maybe if I buy a tortoise shell and set it in there. She's so uneducated that she would just assume it died.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I agree with @/minority2 that tortoises shouldn’t be housed together, ever.
Honestly.. it’ll suck, but I would do as much for the tortoise as you can afford yourself. Buy it a proper hide, proper lighting, substrate, the works. Babies especially need lots of care, more so than adults. Maybe your friend will end up (unfortunately) getting bored of the tort and let you have it, then you can properly care for it.
Good luck [emoji53]
Either way, she wouldn't soak, or mist it everyday. So even If I did, It would be a waste on my part. She doesn't pay attenion to it. It would die from starvation or dehydration before she actually decided to assemble a tank I would buy her. She wants it as a "look at pet" but she doesn't want to do anything for it. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't do anything illegal. If you print off a care sheet and give it to her, and let her know you're there for her if she has questions, that's all you can do. You can also let her know you'd be happy to take the baby if it gets to be too much for her to care for.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Don't do anything illegal. If you print off a care sheet and give it to her, and let her know you're there for her if she has questions, that's all you can do. You can also let her know you'd be happy to take the baby if it gets to be too much for her to care for.
I wasn't planning on it. But sure. I will do that. I already told her that if she doesn't want it, i'll take it.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
We have a neighbor next door who will not take back his damn hatchlings. People all over have found these hatchlings and he WILL NOT take them back! He litterally told me to get off of his lawn lol!

You should report your neighbor, the "breeder", to Arizona fish and game/wildlife if you have sufficient evidence to back up your claims. Releasing captive-bred tortoises of any species into the wild is illegal and also dangerous to native tortoise species that do live in the wild.

Tell your friend about this law. Take pictures of her with the tortoise in question and keep tabs of the tortoise's health. Any "friend" that chooses to remain willfully ignorant when informed about proper tortoise and or baby care deserves to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
UPDATE:
SHE LET IT FREE! SHE SET IT IN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD AND LET IT GO!!! ME AND MY SISTER ARE CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR IT. WE ARE SEARCHING EVERYWHERE! SHE GOT BORED OF IT AND STILL DIDN'T GIVE IT TO ME....
I WILL UPDATE IF WE FIND IT OR NOT!