I'm New and I Need Help

Kristephen

Hi my name is Kristephen.

My mom just got a tortoise for my little brother today. I'm trying to research how to take care of it. Like what kind of bedding to use and what to feed it and how often. But we don't even know what breed it is. We know he's at least 6 years old because the people who owned him before us owned him for 6 years. Could someone please help?

His name is Stephano btw. Yes my little brother named him that because of PewDiePie. XD

Stephano 7-12-15.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Nishikigoi's Torts.

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
Hi welcome to the TFO! And I am by no means a tortoise expert as I am also new to this great forum, all I can tell you is that the bedding your useing is most likely NOT the right choice. Just stick around and hopefully someone more knowlegable than me will come around to help you out.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kristephen ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1436734821.829336.jpg
I would say it looks to be a Herman but I'm not a 100 % shir . Do we also get to see a pict of the torts enclosure ?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Looks Greek to me, so it's probably a Hermann's, either way, here is some good advice.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
The substrate is too thin and too dry, you need to use one that holds humidity like coco coir, orchid bark or cypress mulch.
Please post pictures of the enclosure so we can help make life as good as possible for your brother's beautiful tortoise.

kirsty Johnston

5 Year Member
Scotland
Welcome! He looks like a Greek tortoise to me but the more experienced members would be able to tell you for sure.
Torts eat weeds, flowers and leafy greens. My torts favourites are dandelions, rose petals, clovers, stinging nettles and viola. There is a great website called the tortoise table which tells you what leaves the wee fella can eat - http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/tortoise_home_1.asp
You will also need a good vitamin and mineral supplement to sprinkle over his food a couple of times a week as well as a uva uvb bulbs.
Good luck! :)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
way hey!! im new to the tort world and TFO as well, all i can say is well done you!!

as mentioned pet stores realy dont have a clue, so many of us have fell into that trap ... BUT..... you have made a fantasic decision doing homework and finding here!

the care sheets posted will help you and your new family member for best poss care as already advised ( these guys are pros and will help you to no end, just ask ANY concern you have :) )

hats off to you reserching! welcome and happy tortin'

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
... posting pics of enclosure etc will help with advice, try post if poss :)

Kristephen

I know he is not in the right set up. I know he probably needs a bigger enclosure. And the "bedding" or whatever isn't right. What should I be using? Everywhere I check says something different. I know he's unhappy because he's been banging his head off of his enclosure. I've been taking him outside once a day for a couple days now. He seems to really like that. If he was in my care I would have made sure he had everything he was suppose to need. But my mom got him for free from one of her friends and just has him in the same set up he has lived in for 6 years. If something were to happen to him my little brother would be heart broken and I'd feel terrible. That's why I'm doing so much research... I'm just still so confused. And my mom is broke (and so am I) so if anyone could suggest cheep stuff (but healthy) that would be greatly appreciated.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Where are you located?
some of us have extra stuff that we would part with.
Letting him outside is an excellent idea. Just keep an eye on him while he's out there. Make sure he doesn't get too hot or wander off. Make sure that there are no dogs around. Even friendly ones...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What should I be using? Everywhere I check says something different. I know he's unhappy because he's been banging his head off of his enclosure.... I'm just still so confused. And my mom is broke (and so am I) so if anyone could suggest cheep stuff (but healthy) that would be greatly appreciated.

Read the two care sheets linked above. Everything is in there.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
If he is in a glass tank the chances are he can see his reflection and it's stressing him out and/ or he doesn't understand glass and keeps trying to get through it. So put a sight barrier around the outside of the tank so that he cannot see the wider world. That may calm him down but the more room you can give him the better and taking him out in the sun to get UV rays - which he needs - is great but follow Zeropilots advice when you do that too.

I don't know what substrate you have but make sure he doesn't eat any of it.

The care sheets will help you as will Beginners Mistakes and the Enclosures threads.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Bigger enclosure, yes if you can manage it.
Cheap options include a bookcase lying on it's side with the shelves knocked out; lined with a shower curtain.
Substrate should be coco coir, cypress mulch or orchid bark, but top soil or yard dirt are cheap options that are okay if you are sure they are pesticide, herbicide or other toxin free and don't contain sand or lots of small stones.
Like wise garden weeds are fine. Check http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp for what is safe to eat.
If you don't know what a plant is, post it here and someone should be able to tell you if it's okay.

DGerr

San Diego, CA
Hi there. Welcome. I'm new here also. I laughed when I read your torts name. We have Tort names inspired by PewDiePie also.
My kids named ours Maya and Edgar after his dogs.
Take care, you came to the right place for info.

NotReptarded

I say Greek tortoise and he has two extra scutes if you don't know what those are they are kind ad like scales but on a tortoises shell and much harder and they are supposed two have five down the center and 4 on both sides yours has six down the middle and 5 down one of the sides hope this helped.