I'm new and need help, found turtle

Pascaltheredfoot

Ok so I found a red foot tortoise outside my front yard and decided I would help it and research on the species, turns out I got attached to him and no one has come claim him since he seems like a pet because he doesn't get scared of people near him too much. I've made a fairly large enclosure for him and fed him, I have noticed he won't eat his greens and only eats his fruit! He ate a piece of carrot but then a slug stole it ..... Anyways he won't even eat his tomato! I did add some calcium powder but that doesn't seem to be the problem since he ate mango with the powder soo any advise? Is he sick?

Pascaltheredfoot

Ok so I found a red foot tortoise outside my front yard and decided I would help it and research on the species, turns out I got attached to him and no one has come claim him since he seems like a pet because he doesn't get scared of people near him too much. I've made a fairly large enclosure for him and fed him, I have noticed he won't eat his greens and only eats his fruit! He ate a piece of carrot but then a slug stole it ..... Anyways he won't even eat his tomato! I did add some calcium powder but that doesn't seem to be the problem since he ate mango with the powder soo any advise? Is he sick?
I need help please im new

Pascaltheredfoot

That was a really quick reply but sadly it is night where I live but in the morning I will definitely take pictures

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Give your tort a good soak for at least 20 minutes in just-warm, but not hot, water. The water needs to be deep enough to come up over the plastron (undershell)

Use a high sided bowl that he can't see out of. This should be done daily while your tort is not eating properly. Offer food straight after the soak

You don't say how long you have had this tortoise. They are notoriously slow to adapt to change and it can take months for behaviour to become normal. It's not unusual for all to be well for the first few days and then the tort to panic afterwards.

Torts are also expert at being picky eaters. They hold out for what they like best. Wet the greens and chop them up small and mix with the mango that he will eat... it all sticks together and he can't pick out the best bits then! Gradually increase the proportion of the green stuff over a the next couple of weeks.

We really do need photos of the enclosure and lighting to identify problems. The morning will be fine.

We also need to know temperatures in the enclosure. There are 4 important ones: warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum )

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

We do need to see the enclosure, however, first of all we need to see the 'tortoise.' I'm betting what you have found is a colorful three toed box turtle. This is the most often type of 'found redfoot' animal. Box turtles are quite stubborn about eating veggies and greens, wanting to eat mostly fruit and bugs.

Pascaltheredfoot

Thank you so much for the suggestions although I forgot to say that this isn't a baby tortoise and there is no way of it fitting in our house it's pretty big so it's enclosure is out side. I've heard this is better than inside anyways but I may have heard wrong

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only know how from a PC:

At the bottom of your post window click on "upload a file." When the picture window from your computer comes up, find the picture you want to post and click on it. It's easy to follow the directions after that.

Sometimes copy/paste works too.

Pascaltheredfoot

I tried mixing mango with some lettuce and it kind of worked he ate it then I tried again then he wouldn't eat it anymore.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Just keep trying. He will give in when he is properly hungry. Think like the parent of a child that only wants to eat candy.... they're stubborn little <insert appropriate impolite word>

Pascaltheredfoot

Ok thank you very much im new at this and since he is older I need to get to know his personality as well but I will keep trying ! I'm sorry I couldn't get around to showing pictures but maybe in the future because it's not complete yet either