IM WORRIED !!

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
Okay so I've had my Baby sulcata for about 3-4 months now. I bought him from a horrible pet shop who had like 4 in 1 10 gallon tank [FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT][FACE WITH MEDICAL MASK]. I bought mine and he's been happy ever since (even though I can't reverse the pyrmiding) but for the past 2 weeks I've seen this weird white thing in his head, I think he's shedding ? IDK here are some pics please let me know if I should be concerned or relax. He's about 10-11 months now ImageUploadedByTortForum1384701859.437525.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1384701876.821140.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not a good sign and not what I would call "normal". I start hundreds of hatchlings a year and none of them do that.

Pine shavings are not a good substrate. I've made a care sheet for sulcata babies. I think it would be easier (for me anyway), if you just read that, rather than me type out all the same info again. Here is a link:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-79895.html

lkwagner

5 Year Member
cherrysmom said:
So what should I do ?

Read that care sheet. Basically follow it exactly. Start by soaking everyday, changing the substrate and water dish, and providing a good varied diet.
You can't reverse the pyramiding but you're not going to stop it either with that substrate and no humidity.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like he needs more humidity...which is why Tom is saying to change out your drier type bedding for a better substrate which holds humidity. Does he have a water source to soak in? Do you soak him? Do you have a humid hide or chamber? All these questions are why he wants you to read his thread, plus to check for other areas you may need improvement on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, indeed. Your tortoise's head is white because he's being kept in a very dry habitat. You need a substrate that you can moisten, and you can't moisten the wood shavings that you're using. Baby tortoises stay either buried or hidden in tall grass and under bushes. It is usually pretty humid/moist in those places. This moisture helps the baby to grow a smooth shell, and helps the skin from getting that hard, white feel to it.

Please read the info on the link that Tom provided for you with an open mind, and make changes/corrections to your tortoise-keeping.

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
Okay thanks guys, I'm just new to all this. I live in NY and right now it's getting pretty cold. I'm going tomorrow to get everything I need for cherry. Can someone please give me a check list that I can go by tomorrow ?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: IM WORRIED !!

cherrysmom said:
Okay thanks guys, I'm just new to all this. I live in NY and right now it's getting pretty cold. I'm going tomorrow to get everything I need for cherry. Can someone please give me a check list that I can go by tomorrow ?

Give us a run down of what you already have. We can give you tips of what else to pick up.

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
Okay we'll I have a 20 gallon tank, 75 watt bulb, hay, water bowl, food bowl and liquid vitamin and powder vitamin

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
cherrysmom said:
Okay we'll I have a 20 gallon tank, 75 watt bulb, hay, water bowl, food bowl and liquid vitamin and powder vitamin

If he is almost a year old, then 20 gals should be way too small for him. What kind of light is it? UVB? Is there calcium in the vitamins? Does he have a hide or a humidty box of any kind currently? What are you using to know what temps he is at?

cherrysmom

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
cherrysmom said:

If he is almost a year old, then 20 gals should be way too small for him. What kind of light is it? UVB? Is there calcium in the vitamins? Does he have a hide or a humidty box of any kind currently? What are you using to know what temps he is at?

It's a heating lamp, and yes there is calcium in the vitamins, he does have a hide and on the side of the light it's usually 85 degrees and on he cool side 75. I have the tank thermometers

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
There are a few things that you should buy today for your tortoise. I suggest some coconut coir substrate to replace what you have now. I found it at a local pet store that specializes in reptiles, but you can order it on line. It comes in bricks or mulch. Either one will require soaking before use. It expands as it soaks up water. Then squeeze out the water and pack it down real good into your tank. The coir can be reused when you get a larger tank for your tortoise.

You also need to get a digital thermometer that has a probe. Those tank thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. I use one like this, but it doesn't have to be wireless for your purposes: http://www.acurite.com/environment/...oor-temperature-humidity-monitor-00611a2.html

Another useful tool to have is a temp gun. It makes it easier to set the basking spot temp and to check temps around the enclosure. https://www.google.com/search?q=tg+1+temp+gun#q=tg+1+temp+gun&tbm=shop

Not sure what you are using for a watering dish, but these work really well. I also had one for a food bowl. Easy for the baby to get in and out of. https://www.google.com/search?q=terracotta+saucers

Happy shopping.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think everyone above is giving great helpful advice, but it seems that you need some help understanding the fundamentals. Us telling you what to buy will not be helpful unless you understand why you need these things and what it is you are trying to accomplish. Every enclosure is different, and so every enclosure will need some customization. You need to first understand where this baby comes from, and what conditions you wish to simulate to maintain his health. Once you understand those things and you establish goals for the parameters you wish to achieve, THEN we can help make recommendations about what to buy, and you will understand how to use the equipment and make the necessary adjustments.

Here are some threads for you. Please read these and then come back with more specific questions. We are eager to help, but we've got to get you up to a certain level of understanding first.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html