Indoor enclosure cover for hatchling Hermanns..?

Equivix

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the early stages of building an indoor 5x2x1 planted tortoise table for hatchling hermanns.
Planning on using an MVB for basking/UVB during the day, and a CHE at night if temps drop, both on thermostats of course! The rest of the enclosure will be lit during the day by a 2' fluorescent fixture to promote a bit of plant growth and get even lighting throughout. All fixtures will be hanging from a PVC pipe structure above the enclosure.

I don't keep my house at an ambient 27C, and I don't think a single MVB/CHE on one side of an open enclosure will keep things warm/humid enough for hatchlings. My question is what kind of covers do you guys use that can go OVER the light/heat fixtures to maintain temps and humidity?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I would just build a frame out of the PVC pipe and then you could put plastic over it, like a clear shower curtain. I think hatchlings need a constant 27° throughout the enclosure. So you might need a heat source on both ends. A temperature gun is handy to test all areas of the enclosure.

Equivix

I would just build a frame out of the PVC pipe and then you could put plastic over it, like a clear shower curtain. I think hatchlings need a constant 27° throughout the enclosure. So you might need a heat source on both ends. A temperature gun is handy to test all areas of the enclosure.

Makes sense, might be a pain to take off and put back on for feeding. As for two lights, I could do that but I'm concerned there won't be enough of a gradient to allow them to find a cooler spot if they want to.. Thoughts?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I have not raised a hatchling but I have read on here many many times that they don't need a gradient when young. Just when they are older. That the temperature must stay above or at 27° because they also need more humidity. Cold temperatures and dampness leads to respiratory infections. You could just flip up one side of it if you need to get into it.