Multiple Bulb Setups for Large Enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Pretty much decided that we're going to rig up metal rods or wood dowels along the width (brackets? trying to avoid drilling holes), having probably 3 rods for the 3 heat bulbs I'd guessing we need (60 W), and 6 or more locations to put them (so we can adjust it), then hang the fixtures with hooks and chain, with these fixtures http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...xtures/-/zoo-med-mini-deep-dome-heat-fixture/ + http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...tures/-/zoo-med-5-12-clamp-lamp-safety-cover/ and these bulbs (25,000 hr life supposedly, for the same cost as other brands) http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...ramic-bulbs/-/zoo-med-60-watt-ceramic-heater/

So what is the best to use for extra light in an enclosure (when you already have a MVB for UVB)? Considering safety and cost. Halogen? Reptile type or hardware store type? Are the household compact florescent ones bad? Is it better to have an extra light mounted with the bulb face parallel to the substrate like the MVB, or can they be at an angle? Thinking I'll want one 100 Watt light to go with my 100 Watt Mega Ray. Thanks!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Washington
Update time!

Ok so we totally switched the plan around and I ordered lamp stands for everything! Turns out hubby wasn't actually opposed to the look or cost of them, and we felt it was the safest and easiest option. Five large lamp stands for: one 100 Watt Mega Ray MVB, one 60 Watt halogen household light bulb (we'll have to test it out...kinda guessed on the wattage after hubby said 100 Watts was overkill), and three 60 Watt CHEs. MVB and halogen bulb in large deep dome fixtures, and the CHEs in mini ones with cage covers, all of which have the hangers on them. Lamp stands, fixtures, CHEs, and covers are all ZooMed (so I guess we get the ul rating? yay). Since the Vision plastic tub will hang off the sides of the cabinet (current tort table was built to cabinet dimensions), we'll use the sides of the current tort table to lie under it so we can slip in the bases of the lamp stands. Works perfect as each board is 18 inches wide and the new tub is 35 inches wide. The large lamp stands have the arm that extends far enough to reach the center of the enclosure.

Hubby painted the new pond water dish an earth tone color today. We will order the tub for delivery between xmas and new year's, so expect some lovely photos of Trevor's new big boy house in about a month! Running total is $650 ($450 of which is the tub)...ick. We might still need some plexiglas to help with heat. Hoping we overestimated the CHEs and not the other way around. Hoping to get at least 10 years out of the tub. Trevor's growth is really slowing down now that he's 4.3 inches, so 17 sq ft is going to be huge for him, but he doesn't get any significant outdoor time.

Status
Not open for further replies.