Indoor enclosure for 2yr old red foot

Jegotting

image.jpeg I just recently moved my 2 year old female, Immy, inside for the winter and it has been a struggle to get her enclosure "just right". I've attached a pic and would really like some opinions. I used a converted bookshelf lined with garbage bags. I started with one ceramic heat emitter and just added a second and got a new uvb lamp that is mounted on the wall inside. I tried and tried to figure out a way to keep it enclosed so I could keep the humidity up but just couldn't figure out a way for it to work. I am not particularly handy or good at building things so I am going to try using a humidity hide (it's the green box in the corner, directly under the Che) Substrate is coco coir underneath cypress mulch with sphagnum moss in the hide. I also have a heat mat under the log on the side opposite the lights. The only place I have for her is in the basement, so the cool side is about 70 degrees and the warm side is around 90. I would love some feedback from people who successfully use humidity hides as well as on the general set up of her home. I know as they age they don't require as much humidity... Does anyone know the ages exactly for the importance of it? I was thinking of getting a fogger, but with the enclosure being open I don't know how much good it would do. I plan on soaking the inside of the humidity hide 2-3 times a day. Thanks guys

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sweet Home Chicago
I have a fairly open habitat for mine. I have the Exo Terra Monsoon RS400 Rainfall System. I have it set to spray a mist for 30 seconds every two hours. I'm able to keep the humidity up to 65 to 70%. Also if you can soak her for about twenty minutes a day that helps a great deal. I think your habitat looks nice with the plants. I will also spray the habitat when and if it gets too dry

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
View attachment 191391 I just recently moved my 2 year old female, Immy, inside for the winter and it has been a struggle to get her enclosure "just right". I've attached a pic and would really like some opinions. I used a converted bookshelf lined with garbage bags. I started with one ceramic heat emitter and just added a second and got a new uvb lamp that is mounted on the wall inside. I tried and tried to figure out a way to keep it enclosed so I could keep the humidity up but just couldn't figure out a way for it to work. I am not particularly handy or good at building things so I am going to try using a humidity hide (it's the green box in the corner, directly under the Che) Substrate is coco coir underneath cypress mulch with sphagnum moss in the hide. I also have a heat mat under the log on the side opposite the lights. The only place I have for her is in the basement, so the cool side is about 70 degrees and the warm side is around 90. I would love some feedback from people who successfully use humidity hides as well as on the general set up of her home. I know as they age they don't require as much humidity... Does anyone know the ages exactly for the importance of it? I was thinking of getting a fogger, but with the enclosure being open I don't know how much good it would do. I plan on soaking the inside of the humidity hide 2-3 times a day. Thanks guys
Can I see your actual Tortoise please?
Where in the world do you live ?

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Look into mini greenhouses...amazon and walmart sell them for 36...comes in a variety of sizes...