Indoor enclosure plant suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Oscar has clearly had it with the fall weather. About two weeks ago he stopped being out and about while outside. He would just go straight to his hide and wait for me to bring him in. Since this was the first time in who knows how long that he was an outside tort I think he did well. Now he's an indoor pet and I'd like to spruce up his box.
What plants do well indoors, under bulbs, that the torts can eat? Any experiences ya'll want to share?
Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
What I plant depends on the species and their age. I see you have a Russian, refresh my memory how old is he?

pugsandkids

10 Year Member!
Well Oscar came to me via Craigslist this summer, and the woman promised me that he came from Petco (or Petsmart, I get them confused!) three years ago and that they only sell babies...

So who knows how old he is!
He is about 6in long, and is a good eater.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
My experience is that my adult Russians will eat down anything I try to place in their enclosure within a very short time. My recommendation with them is to go with the fake plants.

If you do want to use real plants, I would make sure they hang from above or are in heavy pots where the tortoise actually can not reach them or at the most just reach the ends to nibble on. However Russians are also go climbers, so you would have to take that into consideration where you have the pots placed and what kind you use.

Do you really want live plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.