Indoor enclosure question

yankeeturtle

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Hi everyone,
I have an almost 3 year old Sulcata Tortoise who I currently keep in a closed top enclosure with a humidifier. I want to get him into a larger enclosure while inside. Is there an age or size where humidity isn’t as important and he can be moved to a larger open top enclosure? Thank you in advance for your help.

I apologize for this posting twice. Posted under a different thread and got zero replies. Trying here. Thanks again everyone

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone,
I have an almost 3 year old Sulcata Tortoise who I currently keep in a closed top enclosure with a humidifier. I want to get him into a larger enclosure while inside. Is there an age or size where humidity isn’t as important and he can be moved to a larger open top enclosure? Thank you in advance for your help.

I apologize for this posting twice. Posted under a different thread and got zero replies. Trying here. Thanks again everyone
Humidifiers should not be blowing directly in to tortoise enclosures. Maintain humidity by using a closed chamber with all the heating and lighting inside, and reducing ventilation as needed to get the right percentage of humidity.

At 3 years old your tortoise should be at least 3 times that size, and near 30 pounds. Right now, at 7 inches, you can still use a large 4x8 foot closed chamber, but after they reach about 10 inches, they need MUCH larger housing. I don't know how you are going to do that in NY. It is going to be very expensive and very difficult.

The high humidity is to keep them well hydrated and to prevent pyramiding. Pyramiding is caused by growth in conditions that are too dry, so the humidity needs to be maintained as long as they are still growing.

Here is the care info you need:

And more info:

Questions are welcome! :)

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@yankeeturtle ...
YOU need some serious food changes. The diet you are feeding seems to be lacking the nutrient needs of your tort. Maybe you could tell us what it is you feed and how often.