Indoor Habitats

J

Jillian Fricke

I have to keep my Russian Tort indoors at this point in time. (He still gets plenty of time outside in the sunshine, no worries.) His enclosure is currently a large cement mixing tub, but I want to get him a bigger and better one. I have limited space, and it would be easier to keep him in something greater in length than width. A glass tank seems ideal, but I read somewhere that torts cannot grasp the concept of glass and will repeatedly bump into it and hurt themselves. Is this true? Any other recommendations as far as indoor habitats go? Perhaps you all could posts pictures of yours?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Hi Jillian

How big is your Russian? Here's how to measure Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

The reason I ask is because Russians are very active torts and anything bigger than a baby needs far more floor space than can possibly be achieved in a glass tank.

Most in the US are bought from pet stores and are actually adult or sub adult, regardless of what the pet store said, requiring a minimum of 4'x8' or thereabouts even indoors.

J

Jillian Fricke

Hi Jillian

How big is your Russian? Here's how to measure Straight Carapace Length
http://www.tlady.clara.net/measure.htm

The reason I ask is because Russians are very active torts and anything bigger than a baby needs far more floor space than can possibly be achieved in a glass tank.

Most in the US are bought from pet stores and are actually adult or sub adult, regardless of what the pet store said, requiring a minimum of 4'x8' or thereabouts even indoors.

Hi!
He is 5.25 inches in length and 4.25 inches in width.
If I built him a wooden tortoise table, wouldn't the wood eventually wear down or grow mold as a result of the moist substrate?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Adding a second level will help achieve the space needed for those limited on space. Aquariums are expensive and without spending hundreds of thousands on one, you won't get one at all near big enough.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He is far too big for a vivarium. He needs lots of space!

A wooden enclosure can be lined with pond liner or shower curtain to prevent the substrate from touching the wood.

An old bookcase with the shelves knocked out and lined with pond liner makes a great tortoise table.