Indoor Hermann hibernation?

maybeshoe

We chose a Hermann because SoCal apparently shares a Mediterranean climate (though this year has been cooler and wet). Our Hermann is a 2" hatchling. No plans to hibernate it next winter. But my friend asked me if I knew how to hibernate a tortoise indoors? He raises Greeks and lives in London. At first I thought, Why bother? Tortoise not only gets outside time most of the year, it also sleeps indoors. In a climate controlled environment with a human slave to bathe it and bring food. Why hibernate? Isn't that something animals do out of necessity? But now I'm wondering, Is it more natural to hibernate them...?

Does anyone in SoCal hibernate tortoises? Why? Or is this a regional practice? Like it's a lot colder in London than San Diego?

Patty P

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rockland County, NY
I also have a Hermann's hatchling. He is 2" at 5.5 months old. I was told to only hibernate after the tort is a few years old and if he or she is living in very cold conditions. As this is my first tortoise, I am still a novice but I think SoCal is warm enough year round and you do not need to hibernate your Hermann's at all. I have been reading Chris Leone's (master Hermann Tortoise breeder) work on this subject and he says that it is not proven whether hibernating your tort helps them live longer or breed better.
I personally have decided not to hibernate Tucker at all. He will spend each NY winter indoors in a very warm and toasty house.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Our excellent herp vet is perfectly fine with outdoor tortoises *not* hibernating in Southern California, so long as they have someplace warm to get to when they want. Our wild caught Russian, however, hibernates whether we want her to or not. She has a cycle and she isn't going to change. She has a spot she chose for a burrow and when the days get shorter, that is where she wants to be.

This year we chose to hibernate her inside, in a small fridge. (You can read about fridge hibernation elsewhere on the forum.)

It was the right choice for us. Her outdoor burrow (the one she built herself) completely flooded several times in this year's heavy rains. She also came out of hibernation with much more energy and appetite than the prior year.

You have a young tortoise who may never learn or need to hibernate and that's fine, too.

Fortunately you've got some time to learn about the options and then decide what is best for you and your tortoise.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oops, thought I had included in there she is exclusively outdoors but I think she would slow down in winter no matter where she was.

Also, welcome! I forgot that as well.