Indoor Zoo Med Enclosure

tortmomma417

Location (City and/or State)
Kyle, Tx
Hey everyone, I know there's lots of posts about this (kind of), but my Zoo Med tortoise table just came in the mail! Which I'm pretty excited about! I've had my little guy for about 2 months and he's already outgrown his 40gal tank (understandable). My goal is to eventually keep adding to this new enclosure (size wise).

So - the question is this: What can I seal the wood with? I've heard of the pond lining, shower liner, ect. But I run my torts humidifier usually at least twice a day... so I would really love something that would protect the entire enclosure, not just the bottom.

I've heard of the marine paint/sealant/whatever it's called. Can someone clarify and also let me know where I can purchase? I know google is my shopping friend but I want to make sure I'm purchasing the correct, SAFE product.

Also, because I have to overdo everything (lol), how would I "secure" said shower liner to the bottom of the enclosure once I have sealed the wood - I understand this is not entirely necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but if a 40 gallon tank is too small, then the Zoomed house is also too small. Also, unless the entire room is warm and very humid all the time, there is no way to maintain the correct conditions for a red foot in an open topped, low-sided enclosure like that.

Not trying to bum you out. I'm trying to prevent you from making a housing mistake and learning about it the hard way months from now after the irreparable damage is done.

tortmomma417

Kyle, Tx
I hate to dampen your enthusiasm, but if a 40 gallon tank is too small, then the Zoomed house is also too small. Also, unless the entire room is warm and very humid all the time, there is no way to maintain the correct conditions for a red foot in an open topped, low-sided enclosure like that.

Not trying to bum you out. I'm trying to prevent you from making a housing mistake and learning about it the hard way months from now after the irreparable damage is done.
I was going to connect two together so it would be double the length of what he has now and then remove the screened area and add plexiglass.

j_caouette

What indoor enclosures do you recommend?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1497300012.971527.jpghere's the picture I was looking for! I think if I had to house mine inside full tim this is what I would be using

tortlover73

5 Year Member
I have 2 together and have just laid plexiglass over too the grates. The humidity does well. But my sulcata has outgrown that too already. I'm sure you could build one for cheaper than buying two of those and it would last longer

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Hey everyone, I know there's lots of posts about this (kind of), but my Zoo Med tortoise table just came in the mail! Which I'm pretty excited about! I've had my little guy for about 2 months and he's already outgrown his 40gal tank (understandable). My goal is to eventually keep adding to this new enclosure (size wise).

So - the question is this: What can I seal the wood with? I've heard of the pond lining, shower liner, ect. But I run my torts humidifier usually at least twice a day... so I would really love something that would protect the entire enclosure, not just the bottom.

I've heard of the marine paint/sealant/whatever it's called. Can someone clarify and also let me know where I can purchase? I know google is my shopping friend but I want to make sure I'm purchasing the correct, SAFE product.

Also, because I have to overdo everything (lol), how would I "secure" said shower liner to the bottom of the enclosure once I have sealed the wood - I understand this is not entirely necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to say but it was a bad investment. You could have built a plywood tort table with that price and dressed it up accordingly.