Inexpensive bulk substrate recommendations

Xyelem

Location (City and/or State)
Omaha, NE
Hey y’all, I feel like I’ve posted 1,000 times in the last 48 hours, but here I am again, thirsting for advice. So, I’ve finished my Russian’s 12.5’x9’ outdoor enclosure and am now moving to upgrade her indoor enclosure. I’m doing an 8’x4’x2’ with 12” of substrate. Since the Arcadia bulb needs to be 12” from the tortoise, I thought that doing 2’ deep and 12” of substrate would be the best move so that the ballast can sit on the lid I’m building for it instead of hanging (I have cats that genuinely do not care whether they live or die and I want to remove any temptation they may have to bat around a hanging ballast+ heating bulbs won’t have to hang as high if they’re generating too much heat just sitting on top of the lid). I did the math (and by that I mean that someone else on here did the math for me), and I’ll need, like, an alarming amount of substrate. I was initially thinking of just doing coconut coir, but I would need 32 cubic feet, or approximately 13-16, 5kg (11lb) bricks (so 143-176lbs) of coconut coir. Based on what I’m finding, that’s around $400 for just substrate. I’ll do it if I have to, but between the outdoor enclosure and the indoor enclosure, my bank account is basically on hospice. Like she’s between worlds right now. Her daughter (my savings account) is weeping over her death bed. We’ve called the priest to read her her last rites. She’s literally seeing the light as we speak. So. If there’s a cheaper way to do this or you know of a good wholesaler, please holler at ya girl. Also, if anyone has any advice on the most effective and time/mess conscious way to hydrate 176 lbs of coconut coir, that would be deeply appreciated, lol. Thank you!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello again!
No problems asking questions here. That's why this forum exists :))

You can check local plant nurseries - they might have fine grade orchid (fir) bark or cypress mulch in bulk. This are decent alternatives to coco coir and you don't have to rehydrate them.

And an important notice: the lamp should be at the very least 16 inches above substrate. Preferably, 18-21 inches. Arcadia UVB tubes don't have an external ballast, it's integrated in the fixture.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey y’all, I feel like I’ve posted 1,000 times in the last 48 hours, but here I am again, thirsting for advice. So, I’ve finished my Russian’s 12.5’x9’ outdoor enclosure and am now moving to upgrade her indoor enclosure. I’m doing an 8’x4’x2’ with 12” of substrate. Since the Arcadia bulb needs to be 12” from the tortoise, I thought that doing 2’ deep and 12” of substrate would be the best move so that the ballast can sit on the lid I’m building for it instead of hanging (I have cats that genuinely do not care whether they live or die and I want to remove any temptation they may have to bat around a hanging ballast+ heating bulbs won’t have to hang as high if they’re generating too much heat just sitting on top of the lid). I did the math (and by that I mean that someone else on here did the math for me), and I’ll need, like, an alarming amount of substrate. I was initially thinking of just doing coconut coir, but I would need 32 cubic feet, or approximately 13-16, 5kg (11lb) bricks (so 143-176lbs) of coconut coir. Based on what I’m finding, that’s around $400 for just substrate. I’ll do it if I have to, but between the outdoor enclosure and the indoor enclosure, my bank account is basically on hospice. Like she’s between worlds right now. Her daughter (my savings account) is weeping over her death bed. We’ve called the priest to read her her last rites. She’s literally seeing the light as we speak. So. If there’s a cheaper way to do this or you know of a good wholesaler, please holler at ya girl. Also, if anyone has any advice on the most effective and time/mess conscious way to hydrate 176 lbs of coconut coir, that would be deeply appreciated, lol. Thank you!
What kind of Arcadia bulb are we talking about. I don't know of any that need to be 12" from the tortoise. The height of your basking bulb needs to be set using a thermometer. The height of a HO UV tube needs to be set using a Solarmeter 6.5 and its usually around 18-20 inches for the 12% tubes.

I get my orchid bark in 2.0 cu. ft. bags from the local plant nursery for $12 a bag.
Orchid Bark.JPG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Just a sidenote:
1. 32 cu.ft. of coir after hand packing will give you a substrate layer of 6-8 inches. To get the same thickness with orchid bark you will need 16 cu.ft. of bark (no need to pack it down). For the time of being you can get away with 4-6 inches layer (8-12 bags of bark like the one Tom suggested above).
2. Right now there is no need to get a UVB light - your tortoise gets plenty of sunshine outside. And they can do fine a week or so without UVB. You can cut the costs for now.

Xyelem

Omaha, NE
What kind of Arcadia bulb are we talking about. I don't know of any that need to be 12" from the tortoise. The height of your basking bulb needs to be set using a thermometer. The height of a HO UV tube needs to be set using a Solarmeter 6.5 and its usually around 18-20 inches for the 12% tubes.

I get my orchid bark in 2.0 cu. ft. bags from the local plant nursery for $12 a bag.
View attachment 371548
Yeah, I misunderstood instructions on a previous post. I can definitely lesson the amount of substrate needed to accommodate the additional space needed. Thanks for the rec.

Xyelem

Omaha, NE
Hello again!
No problems asking questions here. That's why this forum exists :))

You can check local plant nurseries - they might have fine grade orchid (fir) bark or cypress mulch in bulk. This are decent alternatives to coco coir and you don't have to rehydrate them.

And an important notice: the lamp should be at the very least 16 inches above substrate. Preferably, 18-21 inches. Arcadia UVB tubes don't have an external ballast, it's integrated in the fixture.
Oh, okay, awesome. I think I misread or misremembered your previous post because for some reason I got it into my head that the Arcadia bulb needed to be 12” away. I can definitely adjust. Thank you for the recommendations!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh, okay, awesome. I think I misread or misremembered your previous post because for some reason I got it into my head that the Arcadia bulb needed to be 12” away. I can definitely adjust. Thank you for the recommendations!
You are welcome! I'm glad we have catched this early :)

Mulgore

Kernersville, NC

View attachment 371548
s tier comment

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is your "Arcadia bulb" a linear florescent tube? (I strongly assume it is)
Is it a 6% or a 12%?
We could probably guesstimate a distance for your particular species of tortoise if we have the tube type. And other variables. Like is it broadcasting through a screen top? Or is it unobstructed?
It'd be a guess. A theory at best. But probably a decent one.
If and when your bank account recovers from its trauma, I suggest investing In a 6.5 SOLAR METER. Using one is the only way to get real uvb readings.