Info For New People. Please Read This First.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I posted a picture of him and they said he was a juvenile prob still months old idk and also it’s a Russian tort
I went and looked at your previous picture. You have a full size, wild caught, imported, adult Russian. You need a minimum of 4x8 feet. A 50 gallon tub would only be suitable for a tiny baby tortoise that just hatched.

Here is the care info you need:

Questions are welcome. We will help you get him all set up correctly.

caldo0779

Springdale.
I went and looked at your previous picture. You have a full size, wild caught, imported, adult Russian. You need a minimum of 4x8 feet. A 50 gallon tub would only be suitable for a tiny baby tortoise that just hatched.

Questions are welcome. We will help you get him all set up correctl

Questions are welcome. We will help you get him all set up correctly.
are you sure he is a full grown when we first got him there was another one next to her and it looked way bigger I could show more pictures if needed

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
From @caldo0779
"are you sure he is a full grown when we first got him there was another one next to her and it looked way bigger I could show more pictures if needed"

Yes. I am sure. It is likely that yours is a male, and the other was a female. Females are much larger in this species.

Even if my guess is incorrect, tortoises grow at different rates for a wide variety of reasons, and they can reach different sizes for a wide variety of reasons to. Have you ever stood next to a NBA center or an NFL linebacker? I'm going to guess they are significantly larger than you are.

caldo0779

Springdale.
From @caldo0779
"are you sure he is a full grown when we first got him there was another one next to her and it looked way bigger I could show more pictures if needed"

Yes. I am sure. It is likely that yours is a male, and the other was a female. Females are much larger in this species.

Even if my guess is incorrect, tortoises grow at different rates for a wide variety of reasons, and they can reach different sizes for a wide variety of reasons to. Have you ever stood next to a NBA center or an NFL linebacker? I'm going to guess they are significantly larger than you are.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So something like this would be big enough?View attachment 374951
Book cases like this are often recommended, but I don't think these are a good way to go. The backs of these are very thin, flimsy, and usually made of some type of particle board that is going to disintegrate as soon as water touches it. They require so much modification to work, that I don't find it practical or sensible. Also, the depth when standing up, which becomes the wall height when you lay it down, is usually too low once you add in several inches of substrate.

I find it much easier to get a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood, add some 16 inch tall sides to it, put legs on it, and call it good. Its very easy to add an over head beam to hang your lights from too.