Input on my sulcatas enclosure

Bobbyott

I just built this for my 4 month old sulcata. It's 4ft long x 2ft wide x 1ft high. It has 2 hides, water and food, cypress mulch floor and uvb bulb 10.0 desert, 100 watt heat bulb. What am I missing image.jpegimage.jpeg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
How deep is your substrate? The deeper you make it, the easier it will be to keep enough moisture in to keep the humidity up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
...and uvb bulb 10.0 desert

I wouldn't use the coil type UV bulbs. They sometimes burn their eyes. Use a long tube type instead. There is another member here who keeps arguing about this because he has not yet personally experienced a problem with these bulbs YET. Ignore his ignorance. Better to use something safer and more effective.

Also, for your next rebuild which will come in a few months, don't use OSB. It comes apart when it damp. Plywood is only a few bucks more and will last a lot longer.

Have you read through these yet:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Bobbyott

image.jpg
How deep is your substrate? The deeper you make it, the easier it will be to keep enough moisture in to keep the humidity up.

If I keep the whole enclosure covered how will this little guy breathe?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
It will not end up completely air right and when you open it there is an oxygen exchange. Many of us have been using closed chamber enclosures for years. I promise will not suffocate.

Bobbyott

It will not end up completely air right and when you open it there is an oxygen exchange. Many of us have been using closed chamber enclosures for years. I promise will not suffocate.

Thank you so much , you have been very helpful. I will get this heat and humidity down I promise lol. I have a old storm window covering it now until I get the plexiglass and have to get a heat emitter. Happy tortoise happy life.

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Here i am adding your confidence about closed enclosure. I do not have much experience. I am newbie. I had same question like you last time in my mind. It took my several days read a lot of prove that closed enclosure will be good. And last i search tortoise that die in closed chamber or maybe dying. Came out nothing. I did this research, you should be fine. I forget which one, but a member said, "Your tort is small, the oxygen will be enough for them until another feeding time when you open the enclosure and let the air circulate."

So? The only things that make your tort dying in closed chamber is if you apply paint or glue or anything that harmfull for them, avoid that and you are good to go.. and i mean really good. Lets gooo... make a closed one :D. Anyway, you will not be able to make it full 100% closed, it will get too humid, you should make a tiny several holes, make the humidity hover around 85 to 95, then you are good.

Sorry i type too much :p