Good sulcata habitat???

dmarshall1991

I just want to double check to make sure that my habitat for Hudson my baby sulcata is adequate for him. Should I add more stuff in there? Or does he prefer all the unused open space?? I'm going to add some fake plants probably tomorrow just to make it look better but as far as his needs go am I doing alright? It's 4ft long by 3ft wide. he hatched last month so he's just a tiny guy. I figured this would be big enough for him for at least the first few months? Substrate is tripple milled pure cypress mulch, two hides (one with damp sphagnum moss in it) a slate tile/stepping stone, and a shallow water dish. His light is a 100 watt bulb and for UVB he goes outside for a couple hours in the sun every day. Should I ditch the 100 watt bulb and buy a power sun instead??

dmarshall1991

Forgot to add a pic of it.. oops!

Attachments

• 1411942706196.jpg
    1411942706196.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 1411942718239.jpg
    1411942718239.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 85

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You will need to cover most if not all the top to keep humidity up to 80%. The humid night box probably won't do it. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising a SULCATA.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Yes, its a good size for a few months. He will need a lot more humidity as wellington pointed out.

dmarshall1991

You will need to cover most if not all the top to keep humidity up to 80%. The humid night box probably won't do it. Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper raising a SULCATA.
I thought that since sulcatas were a desert species they didn't need high humidity like redfoots? Is it just babies that need humidity that high?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I thought that since sulcatas were a desert species they didn't need high humidity like redfoots? Is it just babies that need humidity that high?

They will always need some humidity but yes, only babies need higher humidity at 80%. Check out toms threads as it explains it all I'm detail.
Humidity needs to not only be at 80% but you need to make sure it's at a constant level. An open top will lose at a rapid rate and you'll be adding water all the time. This makes your humidity level go up and down several times a day which is only one step better than not having any at all. Make sure you put a lid on a large portion of that enclosure and yes I would add some plants and things for your tort to explore. This is why people always say build large enclosures. So you can have lots of plants and stuff AND still have room for them to stomp around.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

dmarshall1991

Ah I just read Toms sulcata sheet. I understand the humidity thing now. I do remember that. I completely spaced it out. I'll deff cover the top and keep that humidity up to 80 :) thank you

dmarshall1991

Lol I thought it was way more difficult than that. I figured if needed certain Temps and heat and all that stuff. I apologize.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Tortoises can survive with a few hours of UVB every week, so as long as he is going out, a bulb isn't NECESSARY, but extra exposure usually won't hurt. If you planning on growing seeds, you'll need something to help them grow, because heat won't be enough :( (unless it's a VERY low light plant) TortoiseSupply.com has really nice seed mixes!
Also, do you have that bulb secured by having the map clamp on the edge of your enclosure? There are all kinds of horror stories about the clamps failing and burning torts... fires... :eek:

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Tortoises can survive with a few hours of UVB every week, so as long as he is going out, a bulb isn't NECESSARY, but extra exposure usually won't hurt. If you planning on growing seeds, you'll need something to help them grow, because heat won't be enough :( (unless it's a VERY low light plant) TortoiseSupply.com has really nice seed mixes!
Also, do you have that bulb secured by having the map clamp on the edge of your enclosure? There are all kinds of horror stories about the clamps failing and burning torts... fires... :eek:
Pothole will work well here... It doesn't need lots of light and it's hardy, but it might need more soil :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
He'll like those, great choices! I don't grow kale, but I believe clovers need a lot of sunlight?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Pothole will work well here... It doesn't need lots of light and it's hardy, but it might need more soil :)
Are pothos poisonous? I read in a thread it was no good to eat?? I had a pothos, it was really pretty, but I'm sure I withered it with too much sun... so one could probably thrive in shady like spots, as you mention :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to the above suggestions, I would add a humid hide. This will help right away until you figure out how to close it in, or rebuild it. I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They cost $1.82. Flip it and cut out a door hole just big enough for the little man.

What are you doing for night heat? They need it warm at night too. Outside of this forum. most people don't keep baby sulcatas warm enough.

Your enclosure is a great size for a hatchling. It should last him for around a year. Maybe more if he's a slow grower.

dmarshall1991

In addition to the above suggestions, I would add a humid hide. This will help right away until you figure out how to close it in, or rebuild it. I use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They cost $1.82. Flip it and cut out a door hole just big enough for the little man.

What are you doing for night heat? They need it warm at night too. Outside of this forum. most people don't keep baby sulcatas warm enough.

Your enclosure is a great size for a hatchling. It should last him for around a year. Maybe more if he's a slow grower.
Thanks so much Tom :) I really look up to your threads and try to follow your example as much as possible :) I have a hide with damp moss in it that I use as a humid hide but it's probably not adequate enough seeing as its a half log. I will do the dishwasher tubs from Walmart that's a great idea. I have absolutely no idea on how to fix the table I have to hold humidity. So I was thinking I could use a 40 gallon breeder tank and completely cover the screen lid and have the light affixed inside. I would cover the back and both sides of it and use a lower wattage heat bulb of course. Is this idea ok?? I know I could at least keep the humidity up that way. I'll do anything to make sure this little guy gets the proper care so I'm willing to bend over backwards and do whatever is suggested.
For night heat I don't have anything. Is this bad? My house is at a constant 78 degrees but my bedroom stays a few degrees warmer because I have heat lamps on in there all day long. So I'd say it's about 80 degrees. 78 at the minimum.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 40 will work for a short while.

You are right about the half log not being a great humid hide. With the front and the back wide open, the room air just circulates right on through.

78 is fine for night time, just make sure it is not really dropping any lower than that at tortoise level. Often the damp substrate and accompanying evaporative cooling can drop the temps quite a bit lower than ambient room temp. Most people need night heat. Especially with winter coming. If your tortoise room and tortoise enclosure truly stays 78 all the time, then you will not need night heat.

Have you seen this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

dmarshall1991

A 40 will work for a short while.

You are right about the half log not being a great humid hide. With the front and the back wide open, the room air just circulates right on through.

78 is fine for night time, just make sure it is not really dropping any lower than that at tortoise level. Often the damp substrate and accompanying evaporative cooling can drop the temps quite a bit lower than ambient room temp. Most people need night heat. Especially with winter coming. If your tortoise room and tortoise enclosure truly stays 78 all the time, then you will not need night heat.

Have you seen this thread:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/
I've spent the past 3 hours covering the top of a 40 gal and affixing the light Inside. Do I really need to cover all the sides though? I mean I will if it's recommended but wouldn't he like to see out?? I will probably end up adding a ceramic heat emitter for night time just to be on the safe side. I didn't take Into account the damp moss and substrate.
I tried clicking the link that you attached but it's saying thread not available for some reason. I'll try again later tonight to see if it's working then. I'll attach pictures of the 40 that i tweaked here in a few minutes