Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
Team Gomberg said:
mctlong,
Just to make sure I understood you correctly.. You prefer to keep hatchlings in an enclosure with no obstacles. No plants. Just substrate, water bowl and a hide?

Sorry you lost a baby by flipping on plants. Poor baby.

Yep, thats about it. Kinda boring-looking, but functional.

Team Gomberg said:
But if I did understand you correctly then I'd still say that the benefits of a heavy planted enclosure full of natural obstacles has enough benefits for me to keep it that way vs. the small possibility that the plants would cause flipping.
Just my opinion based on my experience so far.

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

And I totally understand where you're coming from. We've just had different experiences resulting in different ways of doing things.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I put more things inside the enclosure so they can learn at a young age flipping isn't really. A bad thing if they learn to right them selfs without any help. I know they have instinct on what to so if flipped, but I personally think they get better at doing it if you allow then to do it themselves when they do flip, I guess you can put them in a flat enclosure but in my experience Toetoises will always find a way to flip eventually, it can even be just boundaries of the enclosure that they flip themselves on.

hturner

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
I like to throw mine up in the air to teach them to fly, but they don't seem to be able to learn this.

Haha!

7oasty23 said:
yagyujubei said:
I like to throw mine up in the air to teach them to fly, but they don't seem to be able to learn this.

Mine just doesn't flap his arms fast enough, I don't think his hearts in it. jk

You guys are making my day!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

mctlong said:
Yep, thats about it. Kinda boring-looking, but functional.

And I totally understand where you're coming from. We've just had different experiences resulting in different ways of doing things.

gottcha. Thanks for answering.

No trying to argue here, just wanted to make sure I understood your preference.
People reading will see that there are different ways of doing it.
Everyone weighs the pros and cons and then makes the choice they feel confident in :)

Heather
Sent from my Android TFO app

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
I wouldn't flip mine on purpose I have seen them flip by themselves and seen how they spazz out while they are flipped, I have left them to unflip themselves ( which they have successfully done without my interference). Why stress them by doing it on purpose to them

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
988430_10151430979276333_1674436938_n.jpg

abclements

5 Year Member
Naw! She just tossed that beautiful tort as high as she could and then snapped a pic! :p

Sent from my LG-P769 using TortForum mobile app

Joanne

10 Year Member!
Lancashire, UK
Hahahah.... I hope you can tell that it's 'shopped. But I actually used powerpoint and publisher for that stuff.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Hilarious!!!! ...and very creative!!!! Loving this thread! :)

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
In my pov it's too risky and might cause excessive amounts of stress. Is just not right.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I have pancakes. I flip mine all the time or the one side will burn and then I will never be able to get the other side golden brown.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Re: RE: Intentionally Flipping Your Tort For Practice??

CourtneyG said:
I have pancakes. I flip mine all the time or the one side will burn and then I will never be able to get the other side golden brown.

Haha! :p

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TortForum mobile app

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
abclements said:
Ok this is just something I thought about when reading another members story about his Red Foot flipping over in its water dish. But I'm curious what all your thoughts on this would be.

Would it be beneficial to intentionally flip your tort on its back and let it struggle and learn how to right itself?? (Of course with close supervision)

A little back story: In the article mentioned above, most members were advocating for a "flip proof" environment, but there was one member that suggested giving the tort things to climb on and possibly increase the risk of flipping because they need to learn to right themselves like they would have to in the wild.

Thoughts??

Ready... GO! :)

Disclaimer: Please keep the arguing to a minimum, I can see where this may possibly hit a few nerves, but I just want to get opinions on both sides. Thanks!

Glad how the author of the thread was concerned about arguing. All we are doing is making silly jokes.

abclements

5 Year Member
Haha and I've really enjoyed reading through all of this! I makes me laugh lol

Status
Not open for further replies.